Friday, May 4, 2018

Beware The Flying Cockroach


I read a joke on Facebook today about cockroaches and those who fear or dislike them. Personally, I like most critters, but I'd rather fight a bear than have an encounter with a big cockroach. Here in Florida, the common variety is called a palmetto bug and the damned things can fly.

I rarely see a bug in my home, but when I do, it's usually the 14 pound variety. The other day, I see my cat Scooter stalking something with Samantha (my other cat) seemingly aiding and abetting him.

Curious, I investigate the commotion and find a large cockroach casually crawling around the kitchen. Samantha hangs back as Scooter lightly pats and toys with the critter.

Irritated, I grab a paper towel to catch and remove it, but Scooter picks it up with his mouth and high-tails into the bedroom and under the bed. I have no intent to get on the floor and look for the roach because some are known to carry guns and knives.

I go back to the living room and sit down to plan how to resolve the matter. I look up to see Scooter exiting the bedroom, sans cockroach, which means the little bastard is still under the bed. Declining to back into the bedroom, I grab a beer and sit in my recliner opting to sleep there until the cats finally do the intruder in.

The next morning, having forgotten the whole incident, I go into the kitchen only to find the roach dead on his back and both cats sitting proudly beside their kill.

The News As I See It: A study reveals A study reveals that the best way to add years to your life is to exercise, lose weight, and not drink too much. To which all of America replied, "What else you got?"

Starbucks should have a separate line for people who don't know what they want or how the world works.

The Duchess of Cambridge, Kate Middleton, had the Royal baby, walked out and showed it to everyone, then went home?! I had Taco Bell yesterday and couldn’t get off of the couch.

There's a whale in France that can say hello out of its blowhole and I still can't manage chrysanthemum on the first try.

This Date In History: 1809; Mary Kies of South Killingly, Connecticut, became the first woman to be granted a patent. The patent was for the rights to a technique for weaving straw with silk and thread. 1821; Napoleon Bonaparte died on the island of St. Helena.

 1891; Carnegie Hall (then known as Music Hall) opened in New York City. Peter Tchaikovsky was the guest conductor. 1925;  John Scopes was arrested in Tennessee for teaching Darwinism. 1961; Alan Shepard became the first American in space.

1981:  Bobby Sands of the Irish Republican Army died in a prison hospital on the 66th day of his hunger strike. 2004; Pablo Picasso's "Boy with a Pipe" became the most expensive painting ever sold.

Picture Of The Day: Thoughts for consideration.....



Printable Things I Never Told You: 1) If growing up in the '60s taught me one thing, it’s that my friends and I should have found that missing boy on the milk carton by now. 2) Some days you’re the dodgeball, some days you’re the face. 3) I chaperoned my nephew's field trip to the farm today. Didn't lose any children, but this fluffy kid has been clucking the whole bus ride home. 4) At this point, the only guy on the Internet that I trust with my personal data is that Nigerian Prince. 5) I met a girl in the park the other evening. There was an instant spark between us and she immediately dropped to her knees and laid on the grass at my feet. As we lay making love, I thought. "These Taser guns are well worth the money.".....and that's five !

Today's Horoscope: Taurus - May 5th: The light is coming closer and soon you will see exactly what the future holds with a special someone. The light is a little bit blinding though, so you might want to duck out of the way when it gets within touching distance or possibly even turn around. But don't turn around for too long or the light will be gone. I'm pretty sure it's a light. I've discussed it with a other astrologers and it's either a light or a locomotive. Just in case, get out of the tunnel.

Birthdays: Soren Kierkegaard, philosopher and religious thinker  1813, Nellie Bly, journalist 1867, Tyrone Power, actor 1914, Arthur L Schawlow, physicist 1921, Tammy Wynette, country singer 1942, Adele, singer 1988.

The AREA 51 Retirement Home Bar And Grill: A customer asked the clerk, "In what aisle can I find the Polish sausage?" The clerk asks, "Are you Polish?"

The guy, clearly offended, says, "Yes I am. But let me ask you something. If I had asked for Italian sausage, would you ask me if I was Italian? Or if I had asked for German Bratwurst, would you ask me if I was German?"

He continued, "If I asked for a kosher hot dog would you ask me if I was Jewish? Or if I had asked for a Taco, would you ask if I was Mexican? Or if I asked for some Irish whiskey, would you ask if I was Irish?" The clerk says, "No, I probably wouldn't."

The guy says, "Well then, because I asked for Polish sausage, why did you ask me if I'm Polish?" The clerk replied, "Because you're in Home Depot."

Two men are talking and one man says to the other, "I went for my routine checkup today." His friend asked, "Is everything okay?" The man said, "Everything was going fine until he stuck his finger up my ass."

His friend smiled and said, "That's normal procedure." The man replied, "So you don't think I should change dentists?"

The Hits Just Keep On Coming: A man is walking home alone late one foggy night when behind him he hears: Bump... Bump... Bump...

Walking faster, he looks back and through the fog he makes out the image of an upright casket banging its way down the middle of the street toward him. Bump... Bump... Bump...

Terrified, the man begins to run toward his home, the casket bouncing quickly behind him. Faster... Faster!... Bump... Bump... Bump...

He runs up to his door, fumbles with his keys, opens the door, rushes in, slams and locks the door behind him. However, the casket crashes through his door, with the lid of the casket.... Clapping-Bump... Clappity-Bump... Clappity-Bump...

On his heels, the terrified man runs. Rushing upstairs to the bathroom, the man locks himself in. His heart is pounding, his head is reeling, his breath is coming in sobbing gasps. With a loud crash the casket breaks down the door, bumping and clapping toward him.

The man screams and reaches for something, anything, but all he can find is a bottle of cough syrup! Desperate, he throws the cough syrup at the casket......and (wait for it)....the coffin stops.

A ragged, old, derelict shuffled into a down and dirty bar. Smelling of whiskey and cigarettes, his hands shook as he took the "Piano Player Wanted" sign from the window, handed it to the bartender and said, "I'd like to apply for the job."

He continued, "I was an F-4 driver, flying off carriers back in 'Nam, but when they retired the Phantom all the thrill was gone and soon they cashed me in as well. I learned to play the piano at Officer's Club happy-hour, so here I am."

The barkeep wasn't too sure about this doubtful looking old guy, but it had been quite a while since he had a piano player and business was falling off. So, why not give him a try?

The seedy fighter-jockey staggered his way over to the piano while several patrons snickered. By the time he was into his third bar of music, every voice was silenced. What followed was a rhapsody of soaring music unlike anything heard in the bar before. When he finished there wasn't a dry eye in the place.

The bartender took the old fighter pilot a beer and asked him the name of the song he had just played. ''It's called 'Drop your Skivvies, Baby, I'm Going Balls To The Wall For You' "he said. After a long drink from the beer, leaving it empty, he added, "I wrote it myself."

The bartender and the crowd winced at the title, but the piano player just went on into a knee-slapping, hand-clapping bit of ragtime that had the place jumping. After he finished, the fighter pilot acknowledged the applause, downed a second proffered mug, and told the crowd the song was called, "Big Boobs Make My Afterburner Light Up."

He then launched into another mesmerizing song and everyone in the room was enthralled. He announced that it was the latest rendition of his song,"Spread 'em Baby, It's Foggy Out Tonight and I Need To See The Centerline", then he excused himself and headed for the bathroom.

When he came out of the bathroom, the bartender went over to him and said, "Hey, fly boy, the job is yours, but, do you know your fly is open and your pecker is hanging out?" The old fighter pilot replied, "Know it? Hell, I wrote it!"

That's it for today, my little tinker toys Remember, livestock is usually a poor choice for a wedding gift. I'm heading over to AREA 51 for happy hour.

Follow Jimmy's Journal on Facebook by clicking the "Follow This Blog" button at the top right of the page.

More next week.

Stay Tuned !

1 comment:

jack69 said...

Congrats to the Kitties. I am not a fan of the Palmetto Bug.
Enjoyed the visit, I think I would change dentists and I know the Fighter pilot, I am sure he was on the USS Independence! LOL.