Friday, October 20, 2017

My First Camera


I remember loading film into my new camera, then searching for the flash bulbs. For some reason, we licked the poles of the flash bulb prior to insertion (Freudian?). After the film was used, I took it to the drugstore to have it developed. Black and white, of course.

I was around eleven years old when I got my first camera. I remember seeing an ad in my comic book that said if I sold a certain amount of 8"X10" religious cards, I would "win" a camera.

So, the materials arrived and off I went going house to house trying to sell my product for ten cents each. That may not sound like much but back in the day, you could buy a week's groceries for $5-7 dollars. It took me about two weeks to sell everything and then I mailed in the money and awaited my camera.



My camera finally arrived around two weeks later and it was then I realized that I would have to buy film and flash bulbs. I don't remember the cost or what development would cost, but I do recall that I had to go searching for soda bottles to cash in so I could pay for it.

No one in the family had a camera and I couldn't wait to finish my first roll of film. Most of the pictures "came out" (a term today's youth would not fathom). It was important to save the negatives for future reprints.

Over the next few years, I took mostly family pictures and stock car racing pictures. Oddly enough, most of the family pictures, including my grandfather, aunts, uncles and cousins were taken with my camera.

In retrospect, I'm happy I got my camera or I wouldn't have the few cherished pictures from my early childhood.

The News As I See It: Google has developed image-recognition software that can accurately capture what’s happening in a photo. But it still has some bugs. It described Kim Kardashian's recent photo as "Woman being chased by two Butterball turkeys."

A new study found that women have better memories than men. Also, a new study found that women have better memories than men.

This Date In History: 1803; The Senate ratified the Louisiana Purchase. 1944; Gen. Douglas MacArthur returned to the Philippines, 30 months after he said "I shall return." 1947; The U.S. House Un-American Activities Committee opened meetings about alleged Communist infiltration in the Hollywood film industry. 1964; Herbert Hoover, the 31st president of the United States, died in New York at age 90.

1968; Jacqueline Kennedy married Aristotle Onassis. 1973; During the Watergate scandal, Attorney General Elliot L. Richardson and Deputy Attorney General William B. Ruckelshaus resigned and special prosecutor Archibald Cox was dismissed by President Nixon in what came to be known as the "Saturday Night Massacre." 2011; Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi is killed by rebel troops in Surt, Libya, his hometown.

Picture Of The Day: My camera looked somewhat like this and I was thrilled when it arrived.



Printable Things I Never Told You: 1) I hope my ship comes in before my dock rots. 2) The doctor said working puzzles would keep Grandma's mind sharp. She's been in the corn maze going on four days, so that remains to be seen. 3) Back in the day, every TV had a remote control. In my house, it was usually me or my brother. 4) Today I learned that wolves are not ticklish. Tomorrow I learn how to tie my shoes with one hand. 5) It is said that the only difference between an oral thermometer and a rectal thermometer is one degree in the normal reading. Personally, I think the main difference would be in the taste.....and that's five !

Today's Horoscope: Libra - October 18th: The evidence for love is staring you in the face but you can't see the forest for the trees. I think the best thing to do is to stop wandering into forests and stand toe-to-toe with the one that attracts you.

Birthdays: Arthur Rimbaud. poet 1854, John Dewey. philosopher, educator 1859, Charles Ives. composer 1874, Bela Lugosi. actor  1882, Jelly Roll Morton. musician 1890, Arlene Francis. actress, TV personality 1907, Art Buchwald, humorist 1925, Mickey Mantle, baseball player 1931, Tom Petty, musician 1950, Viggo Mortensen, actor 1958.

The AREA 51 Retirement Home Bar And Grill: If your child needs a last-minute Halloween costume, you can wrap him like The Mummy with your CVS receipts. You can also scan him for $2 off Advil.

A little old lady was sitting on a park bench in an adult community. A man walked over and sits down on the other end of the bench.

After a few moments, the woman asks, "Are you a stranger here?" He replies, "I lived here years ago." The old lady continued, "So, where were you all these years?" The man says, "In prison."

The old lady asked, "Why did they put you in prison?" He looked at her, and very quietly said, "I killed my wife." The old woman said, "Oh! So you're single...?!"

The Hits Just Keep On Coming: A little old lady goes to the doctor and says, "Doctor, I have this problem with passing gas, but it really doesn't bother me too much. It never smells and it's always silent."

She went on, "As a matter of fact I've passed gas at least 20 times since I've been here in your office. You didn't know I was passing gas because it doesn't smell and it's silent." The doctor says, "I see. Take these pills and come back to see me next week."

The next week the lady goes back and says, "Doctor, I don't know what you gave me, but now my passing gas, although still silent, smells terribly." The doctor says, "Ok, now that we've cleared up your sinuses, we'll start to work on your hearing.

A mother of five decides to get plastic surgery on her privates so her husband can enjoy the snugness she had in her youth. So, she heads off to the doctor for the procedure.

Once the procedure is done, she wakes up to find three roses on her bed and asks the nurse who sent them.

The nurse says, "The doctor wanted you to know he appreciates the business, so he left you a rose. Then your husband came in with a rose, stating that he can't wait to feel the results of the surgery, so he left a rose, too."

The woman asks, "What about the third rose?" The nurse says, "Oh, that's from Ed in the burn unit. He wanted to say thanks for the new ears."

That's it for today, my little tater tots. Remember, anchovies or jalapenos added to jokes upon request; your mileage may vary; no substitutions!. I'm heading over to AREA 51 for happy hour.

Follow Jimmy's Journal on Facebook by clicking the "Follow This Blog" button at the top right of the page.

More next week.

Stay Tuned !

2 comments:

jack69 said...

As always you brought back a lot of memories. I did smile at the pictures 'coming out' never thought about that. Yep, surely would not be understood today.
Oh yes, I remember when soda bottles were money!!!

It is also amazing the clarity of those little box cameras.....

Paula said...

I was the picture taker in my family too. Of course I had to "send them off" before I could see if they "came out". We had a radio but not a TV or telephone. I wonder how we survived.