Friday, October 6, 2017

"It's The Latest Style"


Yeah and for a fleeting moment, it was the style. Then, you see old pictures and you think, "What the hell was I thinking?" Big hair, flat tops, bell bottoms, mini skirts, wide lapels, leisure suits. Kids today poke fun. Laugh it up, Bozo, you'll get your chance.

At some point during my formative years, I recall surfer shirts, the madras era, boat necks, turtle necks. I was in a band and we wore matching suits, skinny ties, ascots, and dare I say, dickies? Shades of Howard Wolowitz.....

Remember the Nehru jacket? I bought one about a month before they went out of style. The era of the leisure suit with Nik-Nik shirts that were so loud and colorful they screamed of fashion faux pas. And they were expensive! We didn't care. They were "in style".

As I became wiser, I learned to buy more conservative suits, shirts and pants that were always in style, This of course allowed me money to do silly things like pay rent and buy groceries.

As I became more successful, I must admit a penchant for Armani suits, coats, shirts and, of course, Florsheim shoes. Then again, sometimes a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do......  

The News As I See It: Nike announced their solidarity with the NFL protesters who kneel during the "Star Spangled Banner" and the American flag, They then announced the debut of their new $400 kneeling shoes.

Former California governor Arnold Schwarzenegger  will speak at a rally against gerrymandering. Admission is free, but I would still pay $1,000 just to hear him say "gerrymandering."

Last weekend, a truck carrying 40,000 bottles of vodka overturned in North Carolina. The driver is fine. He said he’s shaken, but not stirred.

The local news, while advising the public in preparation for the arrival of Hurricane Irma, advised that you could download their app so you can tell there's been a power failure. Call me old fashioned but the lack of lights usually tips me off.

Sorry Canada but most Americans think "Vancouver" is a big tarp for your VW microbus.

This Date In History: 1927; "The Jazz Singer," the first full-length talking picture, starring Al Jolson, debuted. 1949; Japanese-American broadcaster, Iva Toguri D'Aquino (Tokyo Rose), was sentenced to 10 years in prison and fined $10,000 for treason.

1973; The Yom Kippur War began when Syria and Egypt attacked Israel. 1979; President Jimmy Carter received Pope John Paul II, the first pope to visit the White House. 1981; Egypt's President Anwar Sadat was assassinated in Cairo. 1989; Bette Davis died in France at age 81.

Picture Of The Day: I had a burnt orange Nik Nik similar to this one (only sharper) worn with darker burnt orange pants that were so tight it wasn't necessary to guess my religion. So there i was, onstage performing in a night club and looking like a white pimp. Thankfully, it was prior to the advent of cell phones. 



Printable Things I Never Told You: 1) A month ago I gave my cell number to a beautiful girl. She said "I will text you when I get home". She hasn't texted me yet. She's probably homeless. 2) The last time my computer crashed, all the other computers slowed down so they could see what was happening. 3) In 2008, the entire staff of the Canadian Oxford Dictionary was fired. To this day, I still don't know if it's moustache or mustache. 4) I've learned a lot about women over the years. For example, if you're going to the hospital for a gunshot wound and she asks for tampons, you'd better stop on the way. 5) My cat Samantha ate a bunch of Scrabble tiles and now I gotta follow her around the house because it's her turn.....and that's five !

Today's Horoscope: Libra - October 6th: Become as the rabbit. All will become clear as the moon begins its wane. There are lots of ideas screaming to be let out of your head. Let them free and they'll scream in other people's heads too!

Birthdays: Jenny Lind, soprano 1820, George Westinghouse, inventor 1846. Carole Lombard, actress 1908, Thor Heyerdahl, explorer and anthropologist 1914, Amy Jo Johnson, actress 1970, Rebecca Lobo, basketball player 1973, Taylor Hicks, singer 1976.

The AREA 51 Retirement Home Bar And Grill: A man and wife are in bed and the wife says, "Honey, if I die would you get married again? Her husband replied, "No dear." His wife said, "I'm sure you would." The annoyed husband said, "Okay, I would."

The wife asked, "Would you let her sleep in our bed?" Her husband answered, "Yeah, I guess so." The wife asked, "Would you let her wear my clothes?" Her husband replied, "No, she's taller than you."

A farmer goes in half with a friend to buy a bull so he can increase his stock. A couple of weeks later the friend comes by to see how his investment is doing. The farmer complains that the bull just eats grass and won't look at the cows. His friend suggests that a veterinarian have a look at the bull.

The following week his friend returns to see if the vet helped. The farmer looks delighted and says, "The bull has taken care of all my cows, broke through the fence and has even serviced all my neighbor's cows!

His friend says, "Wow! What did the vet do to that bull?" The farmer said, "He just gave him some pills'." His friend asked, "What kind of pills?" The farmer said, "I don't know, but they taste like peppermint."

The Hits Just Keep On Coming: The police department in the small town in Nebraska reported finding a man's body last Saturday in the early evening in the Platte River near the State Highway 30 bridge. The dead man's name was not released pending family notification.

The victim apparently drowned due to excessive alcohol consumption while visiting "someone" in Central City. He was wearing fishnet stockings, spiked heels, a red garter belt, a pink G-string and an Obama T-shirt.

The police removed the Obama T-shirt to spare his family any unnecessary embarrassment.

A man was sitting at a bar when he noticed a woman with a particularly large diamond ring. As he admired the ring, the bartender came over and said, "That's the Lipschitz diamond. It's beautiful, but it comes with a curse." The man asked, "What's the curse?" The bartender replied, "Mrs. Lipschitz."

That's it for today, my little sweet potatoes. Remember, chin up and best foot forward, that is, assuming you know which foot is best. If not, give it your best guess. I'm heading over to AREA 51 for happy hour.

Follow Jimmy's Journal on Facebook by clicking the "Follow This Blog" button at the top right of the page.

More next week.

Stay Tuned !

2 comments:

jack69 said...

I enjoyed the read. I have a cold, flu, or I'm having a heart attack. Haven't decided yet. If I don't finish you will know it was a real bad cold.
I have a liesure suit somewhere and a pair of Florsheim shoes I have had for 35 years. One of these days Imma be in STY?LE!!!!
NIte I feel like lake Hit spelled with an S.

Paula said...

Hope you had fun at Area 51.