Friday, December 29, 2017

Looking Forward To 2018


New Year's Eve nears and, as usual, I haven't made any plans yet. But every year I seem to find a way to celebrate the New Year. I usually try to stay close to home as all the amateur drinkers are on the road.

On top of that, most restaurants and bars raise their prices and I'm not in the mood to have my pocket picked for a glass of bad champagne, a hat and a cheap noise maker. But if you've never had the pleasure of being out on New Year's Eve, I guess you have to try it once or twice.

I want to thank my friends, family and especially my readers for a good 2017. May everyone be blessed and safe as we await 2018.

The News As I See It: Looking forward to New Year's Eve reminded me of my last sojourn to a restaurant on New Year's Eve where I was put on a waiting list. I left when I heard the Maitre d' announce, "Donner? Party of 89...Donner?"

Did you know that years ago this fall, back in 1850, California became a state. The people had no electricity. The state had no money. Almost everyone spoke Spanish. There were gunfights in the streets. So basically nothing has changed except the women had real tits and the men didn't hold hands.

This Date In History: 1179; Thomas Becket, Archbishop of Canterbury, was murdered by four knights acting under the orders of Henry II. 1845; Texas became the 28th state in the United States. 1851; The first Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA) opened in Boston.

1890; The last major battle of the Indian Wars, at Wounded Knee Creek, took place with hundreds of Indian men, women, and children massacred. 1937; The Constitution of Ireland, changing the Irish Free State into Eire, went into effect.

1940; During World War II, Germany began dropping incendiary bombs on London. 1989; Vaclav Havel was elected president of Czechoslovakia. 1996; A peace agreement was signed, ending 36 years of conflict in Guatemala.

Picture Of The Day: Happy New Year to all my family, friends and readers.



Printable Things I Never Told You: 1) Apparently sitting here on my new lawn furniture, drinking my vodka and minding my business is disturbing to other Target guests. 2) Starbucks should have a separate line for people who don't know what they want or how the world works. 3) I bought a used UPS truck. It gets poor gas mileage but I can park anywhere. 4) According to this bathroom stall, my ex changed her number again. 5) My friend's teenage kid said he wanted to go to JFK for some fried chicken. He won't be majoring in history but it's nice to know he is scouting out his career options.....and that's five !

Today's Horoscope: Capricorn - December 29th: Walk without shoes for a day and you will soon understand the true nature of the soul. Life will throw many things at you over the coming months, including a book-shelf which you will have to assemble yourself because you bought it from IKEA.

Birthdays: Charles Goodyear, invented vulcanized rubber 1800, Andrew Johnson, 17th President of the United States 1808, William Gladstone, statesman 1809, Pablo Casals, virtuoso cellist 1876, William "Billy" Mitchell, aviator, soldier 1879, Vera Brittain, novelist, poet 1893, Mary Tyler Moore, actress 1936, Jon Voight, actor, director, writer 1938, Patricia Clarkson, actor 1859,  Jude Law, actor 1972.

The AREA 51 Retirement Home Bar And Grill: Mother superior calls all the nuns together and says to them, "I must tell you all something. We have a case of gonorrhea in the convent."

An elderly nun at the back of the room says, "Thank God, I'm so tired of Chardonnay."

The owner of a small deli was being questioned by an IRS agent about his tax return. He had reported a net profit of $100,000 for the year.

The deli owner asked, "Why don't you people leave me alone? I work like a dog, everyone in my family helps out, the place is only closed three days a year and you want to know how I made $100,000?"

The agent replied, "It's not your income that bothers us. It's these deductions. You listed six trips to Bermuda for you and your wife." The deli owner answered, "Oh, that, I forgot to tell you. We also deliver

The Hits Just Keep On Coming: My thanks to my sweet Sandra for her contribution to today's stories.

I once lost my watch at a party. I looked over to see a guy stepping on it while sexually harassing a girl. I walked up to the dude and punched him straight in the nose. No one does that to a girl, not on my watch.

Old Aunt Clara went to a new doctor to see what could be done about her troublesome constipation. She said to the doctor, "It's terrible! I haven't moved my bowels in more than a week."

The doctor said, "I see. Have you done anything about it?" Aunt Clara replied, "Oh, yes. I sit in the bathroom for a good half of an hour in the morning and then again at night."

The doctor said, "No, I mean do you take anything?" Aunt Clara answered, "Just a magazine...

That's it for today, my little New Year's revelers. Remember, women don't consider it chivalrous when you open bathroom stall doors for them. I'm heading over to AREA 51 for happy hour.

Follow Jimmy's Journal on Facebook by clicking the "Follow This Blog" button at the top right of the page.

More next week.

Stay Tuned !

5 comments:

jack69 said...

Okay, I enjoyed the post. I too am looking forward to 2018, if I can still count that high I am getting old. Oh yeah, loved the printables, I miss those messages on the bathroom walls. ha! I have been in that line at Starbucks! I know those people.
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU. Hey great idea about the UPS truck. Much better than you taking a bus!
Love you dude, try to be good! well...... at least be careful!

Paula said...

Wishing you a good year 2018. Thanks for all the laughs this year. Take are and stay well.

Paula said...

Whoops I meant to say take care.

salemslot9 said...

happy mew year
Jimmy, Samantha and Scooter!
I just looked at
all the photos
you've posted of Scooter
cute!
btw email I sent you
was returned :/

salemslot9 said...

I got your email Jimmy

I tried again :(

Your mail could not be delivered because the recipient is only accepting
mail from specific email addresses. If you feel you received this in error,
please contact the recipient directly and ask them to check their email
settings