Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Meet Bo Obama !

Well, America can now sleep easier as one of it's major concerns has been resolved. The Obamas have finally gotten a dog. His name is Bo and he is a Portuguese Water Dog. Colloquially known as a Portie, it's a water spaniel breed of gun dog. Portuguese Water Dogs once existed all along Portugal's coast, where they were taught to herd fish into fishermen's nets, to retrieve lost tackle or broken nets, and to act as couriers from ship to ship, or ship to shore.

According to Wikipedia, most Portuguese Water Dogs are entirely black, black and white, brown, or silver-tipped. it is common to see white chest spots and white paws or legs on black or brown coated dogs. However, in Portugal the breed standard does not allow more than 30% white markings. Overall, white is the least common Portuguese Water Dog color. Being both black and white, it looks like Bo has the proper breeding and credentials and will fit right into the Obama household.

Bo was a gift from Senator Edward Kennedy, who has two water dogs himself. Presumably, Kennedy became a fan of the Portuguese Water Dog years ago after driving over a bridge in Chappaquiddick.

Al "Podium Al" Sharpton had offered the Obamas one of his own dogs but was informed that his particular breed of dog was not hypoallergenic and that the Obamas were attempting to keep away from that class of dog. Sharpton, taken aback, responded that his dogs were being discriminated against and immediately axed one of his peoples to look up the definition "hypoallergenic" in the dictionary.

All kidding aside, it must have been hard for the Obama children to continually hear about all the things that their father is doing today in his attempt to get America's economy back on track, when the only important thing in their young minds was "where's my dog?" The Portie's love attention though and I'm sure that Bo will make a wonderful pet for the children.

The news agencies today are reporting of the appointment of a "drug czar" to deal with the problems of Mexican drug smugglers and assassins. Right! That's just what we need, another another talking head! What we really need is some more Navy Seal snipers situated at the border to take care of the Mexicans the same way we took care of the Somalis.

Today's Hump Day and and your 2008 Income Taxes are due. If that's not a good reason to head over to AREA 51, then there'll never be one. Personally, I'm sending a letter to the government telling them to deduct my taxes out of my stimulus payment.

This Date In History: 1755; Dr Samuel Johnson publishes his first dictionary, the most influential in the English language. 1912; The British liner Titanic sinks on the night of April 14–15, after crashing into an iceberg in the North Atlantic South of Newfoundland. More than 1,500 lives are lost. 1945; The Nazi concentration camp at Bergen-Belsen is liberated by units of the British 11th Armoured Division. 1980; French philosopher Jean-Paul Sartre dies in Paris aged 74. 1986; The United States launches air strikes against Libya in response to its leader, Colonel Qaddafi's, alleged support of terrorism. 1990; Enigmatic Swedish film actress Greta Garbo dies in New York.

Picture Of The Day: The Portuguese Water Dog is a dog that loves to be in the middle of everything and responds well to attention. This is a picture of Bo with his Texas breeders when he was six and a half weeks old. Today's pictures of Bo are courtesy of MSNBC.com.

The picture of Al Sharpton's dog was acquired from the New York Police Department mug files. All dog suspects are presumed innocent until proven guilty.

Birthdays: Tomorrow April 16th; My Perfect Martini, Happy birthday my love 19XX, My sweetie pie, Gipsy 19XX. Today; Leonardo Da Vinci, Florentine artist, one of the great masters of the High Renaissance, celebrated as a painter, sculptor, architect, engineer, and scientist 1452, James Clark Ross, polar explorer 1800, Theodore Rousseau, French painter 1812, Wilhelm Busch, German satirical poet and artist 1832, Henry James, writer 1843. Bessie Smith, American blues singer 1894.

Printable Things I Never Told You: 1) I had a dog named Beanie when I was growing up and, among his many attributes, was the unique ability to stand beside you, silently pass gas and then give you that Vinnie Barbarino "what?" look as the aroma reach your nostrils. 2) A dog teaches a boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down. 3) I am a member of the mile high club, assuming, of course, if I'm permitted to count that special weekend in Denver, Colorado. 4) I've noticed that women feel more comfortable undressing in front of men than they do undressing in front of other women. They say that women are too judgmental, where, of course, men are just grateful. 5) The Internet brings people together because no matter what kind of a twisted sexual mutant you happen to be. You've got millions of friends out there. Type in "Find people that have sex with goats that are on fire" and the Internet will ask you to specify what type of goat.

The Hits Just Keep On Coming:

An old, tired-looking dog wandered into a man's yard. You could tell from his collar and well-fed belly that he had a home. The dog followed the man into the house, down the hall, and fell asleep on the couch. An hour later, he went to the door, and the man let him out. The next day he was back, resumed his position on the couch and slept for an hour. This continued for several weeks.

Curious, the man pinned a note to his collar: "Every afternoon your dog comes to my house for a nap." The next day he arrived with a different note pinned to his collar: "He lives in a home with four children -- he's trying to catch up on his sleep. Can I come with him tomorrow?"

From my pal, Anne, comes this little ditty: A husband turns to his wife and says, "When I get mad at you, you never fight back. How do you control your anger?" His wife replies, "I just clean the toilet." Her husband says, "How does that help?" His wife answers, "I use your toothbrush."

Hank was amazed at the length of the funeral procession going down Main Street. Watching awhile he observed that the procession consisted entirely of men. It was led by a man holding a Doberman Pincer. His curiosity got the best of him and walked up to the man at the front of the line. Hank said politely, "Excuse me for interrupting you in your time of grief, but I've never seen such a funeral procession. Would you mind telling me who it's for?" The man said, "It's for my mother-in-law."

Tightening the leash, he gestured down at the dog and said, "My Doberman here killed her." Hank said, "That's terrible. Hmmm....Is there any way you could lend me your dog for a day or so ?" The bereaved son-in-law pointed his thumb over his shoulder and answered, "Get in line!"

That's Jimmy's Journal for today my little puppy dogs. It's Hump Day and Tax Day, so I'm going to AREA 51 to look for some last minute deductions. More on Friday.

Stay Tuned !

12 comments:

Paula said...

I'm sure glad they got that important dog issue settled.

Julie said...

Finally something in the white house I approve of. I love the breed and he is so cute. Great jokes today and happy hump day.

garnett109 said...

the teddy comment was beautiful

Anonymous said...

I tried really hard not to laugh at the Rev Al dog, but I couldn't help myself. I'm thinking Obama will distance himself as much as possible from Rev Al in all ways. I'd rather a German Shepherd myself.~Mary

Heli gunner Tom said...

I agree with you about the Navy Seals and Mexicans...lol

Tom

Linda's World said...

I have to say that Bo Obama is a real cutie pie. I wonder who's picking up the poop? I hope tax payer dollars aren't paying a salary for a poop picker upper. I think the new Drug Czar is Gil What's His Name, former Seattle chief of police. I know one of our former Governors is the new Secretary of Commerce~that would be Gary Locke. He actually was a good governor and I think he's pretty honest. I hope the other Washington doesn't corrupt him. Linda in the far corner of the country where it's up to a whopping 56* this afternoon.

REGINA said...

jimmy, as usual, you have not disappointed me. i love your blog, especially your sarcastic humor and your pics. keep 'em both coming.

regina

Missie said...

If I have to hear one more news report on that dog......

Have a good rest of your week!

Pamela said...

That dog is cute! Glad the girls will be happy now.
Love your journal! You are so sarcastic....but so loveable! MUAH!
xoxox

Unknown said...

I am glad at least the girls got a dog they are cute kids. Thanks for the laughs, I hope you have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the smile Jimmy ~ Cute dog ~
I'm still laughing at "Cleaning the toilet with his toothbrush" :o) ~ Ally x

Joann said...

I LOVE the Al Sharpton dog bit!! CRACKING UP over here!!!