Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Some Things Just Blow My Mind !

I rarely have knee jerk reactions to the daily doses of media hype and banter as all of the media, especially NBC and CNN, seems to have found a new supreme being in the form of Barack Obama. Be that as it may, I would be remiss if I didn't comment on the recent speech by Obama at Georgetown University.

Georgetown, which is run by the Jesuit order, is one of the most prestigious Catholic institutions of higher education in the United States. Roman Catholics traditionally use “IHS” as an abbreviation for Jesus’ name. According to the Catholic Encyclopedia, “St. Ignatius of Loyola adopted the monogram in his seal as general of the Society of Jesus (1541) and thus became the emblem of his institute.” The Society of Jesus is the formal name for the Jesuits.

The White House asked Georgetown to "cover all of the Georgetown University signage and symbols behind Gaston Hall stage." The monogram symbolizing Jesus' name in Gaston Hall, which Obama used for his speech, was covered over by a piece of black-painted plywood, and remained covered over the next day.

I believe that everyone has the right to his own religion and ostensibly, the White House request was in limiting the presidential backdrops to the American Flag and presidential seal. It seems to me, however, that Obama has protested that he is a "devout Christian" and theoretically, the monogram would not be bothersome to him.

If Obama is so concerned about appearances, especially so as not to favor any religion, race, or creed, he should rethink his recent "boyz in the hood" handshake with Venezuelan dictator Hugo Chavez.

When President Obama visited the Blue Mosque in Istanbul earlier this month he “padded, shoeless like his entire entourage in accordance with religious custom, across the carpeted mosque interior.” Photos from that visit do not show any religious symbols in the mosque covered up. Apparently, Obama only has problems with Christian symbols.

Frankly, I was not aware of the Georgetown incident, but my pals Julie and Missie both brought it to my attention and they nominated both Barack Obama and Georgetown University for The Cat's Ass Trophy. After researching this, I concur wholeheartedly and second the nomination, Obama for his ignorant request and Georgetown University for not having the balls to tell Obama to go to hell.

It may just be me, but I'm really getting pissed with the way the world is reacting to the Somali terrorists who hijack cargo ships daily. In the past few days, NATO warships and helicopters intercepted and captured seven of these assholes and freed their hostages. Then, after throwing all of the terrorists weapons overboard, they released them! What in the hell are these people thinking?

The terrorists attacked a Norwegian freighter, who radioed for help. A Canadian NATO warship responded to the call. The American ship USS Halyburton was also in the area and joined the chase. After chasing down the terrorists with helicopters and firing warning shots across the bow of the boat, the terrorists surrendered. NATO forces boarded the skiff, where they found a rocket-propelled grenade, and interrogated, disarmed and released the terrorists.

The terrorists cannot be prosecuted under Canadian law because they did not attack Canadian citizens or interests and the crime was not committed on Canadian territory. Nato spokesman Lt. Cmdr. Alexandre Santos Fernandes of Portugal said, "When a ship is part of NATO, the detention of person is a matter for the national authorities. It stops being a NATO issue and starts being a national issue." Most of the time foreign navies simply disarm and release the terrorists they catch due to legal complications and logistical difficulties in transporting terrorists and witnesses to court.

The Somali street monkeys must be rolling over in laughter in the stupid way NATO forces are handling captured terrorists. The only way that they will really understand that we mean business is when they begin to find the bodies of their comrades washing up on shore. I guarantee you that after forty or fifty bodies are found floating in the ocean, these acts of "piracy" will be over and done with.

This Date In History: 1500; Pedro Alvarez Cabral lands in Brazil and claims it for Portugal. 1915; At the Second Battle of Ypres, during World War I, German troops use chlorine gas for the first time on the Western Front. 1969; Robin Knox-Johnston sails into Falmouth, completing the first non-stop solo voyage around the world, after 312 days at sea. 1970; Earth Day, an event intended to increase public awareness of environmental issues and to promote conservation of the world's resources, is first celebrated.

Happy Hump Day to everyone! I'm off to AREA 51 for my midweek consultations and I hope that each and every one of you are able to enjoy your own personal AREA51.

Picture Of The Day: If you saw the movie "The Usual Suspects," you will hopefully appreciate today's pictures. The one good thing about the world of photography and the art of the photoshop is that statements can be made without even saying a word.

Birthdays: Isabella I, queen of Castile 1451, Vladimir Lenin, Soviet leader and theorist 1870, Robert Oppenheimer, American physicist and government adviser, who directed the development of the first atomic bombs 1904, Charles Mingus, American jazz musician 1922, James Stirling, architect 1926.

Printable Things I Never Told You: 1) To be intoxicated is to feel sophisticated, but not be able to say it. 2) I bought my first electric guitar when I was nineteen and I still play it today. 3) I know that this may surprise you, but I was paddled regularly in school for being a "smart alec." 4) The three words guaranteed to humiliate every man are "hold my purse." 5) I think that instead of getting married again, I'm going to find a woman I don't like and just give her a house.

Today is Earth Day and hopefully, one day, the world will actually take the problem of global pollution, overpopulation and the raping of it's natural resources seriously.

The Hits Just Keep On Coming: Brother Kirt is a retired postal worker and president of his union. As one who represents his workers and knows the ins and outs of the Post Office, he submitted the following story:

A man went to the Post Office to apply for a job. The interviewer said, "Are you allergic to anything?" The replied, "Yes, caffeine." The interviewer asked, "Have you ever been in the military service?" The man said, "Yes, I was in Iraq for two years." The interviewer said, "That will give you 5 extra points toward employment.

The interviewer then asked, "Are you disabled in any way?" The man said, "Yes, a bomb exploded near me and I lost both of my testicles." The interviewer grimaced and then said, "OK, You've got enough points for me to hire you right now. Our normal hours are from 8 am to 4 pm. You can start tomorrow at 10 am and plan on starting at 10 am everyday."

The man is puzzled and says, "If the work hours are from 8 am to 4 pm, why don't you want me to here until 10 am? The interviewer says, "This is a government job. For the first two hours,we just stand around drinking coffee and scratching our balls. No point in you coming in for that."

The banana was the dirty old man of the fruit and vegetable convention.

One Monday morning, mailman Kirt is walking the neighborhood on his usual route. As he approaches one of the homes, he notices that both cars were in the driveway. His wonder was cut short by Bob, the homeowner, coming out with a load of empty beer and liquor bottles.

Kirt says, "Wow Bob, looks like you guys had one hell of a party last night." Bob in obvious pain replies, "Actually we had it Saturday night. This is the first I have felt like moving since 4:00 am Sunday morning. We had about fifteen couples from around the neighborhood over for some weekend fun and it got a bit wild. Hell, we got so drunk around midnight that we started playing 'WHO AM I?'"

Kirt thinks a moment and says, "How do you play that?" Bob says, "Well all the guys go in the bedroom and we come out one at a time with a sheet covering us and only our "privates" showing through a hole in the sheet. Then the women try to guess who it is."

Kirt laughs and says, "Damn, I'm sorry I missed that." Bob says, "It's probably a good thing you did. Your name came up seven times...."

That's it for today my little postage stamps. More on Friday.

Stay Tuned !

12 comments:

Linda's World said...

LOL ! Yes heard about that little deal at Georgetown University. Actually I heard a pre-election interview that George Step-on-a-napolis did with Mr Obama where he made the statement that "such & such went against his Muslim faith" and old George piped up and said "you mean your Christian faith" and Obama said "yes, your right my Christian faith." So his faith along with his place of birth is in question as far as I'm concerned. Have fun tonight and don't forget the bread crumbs.Linda in sort of gloomy Washington where it's 20* cooler today than it was yesterday at this time.

Robin said...

How much more are we going to take?!

garnett109 said...

My solution is get a decoy ship load it up ieds let them take it and when they get back to where ever they go blow it up or put toxins on the ship that they can take back to the mother ship kind of like the roach motel!
Loved the last joke!!!!!!!!!!

Julie said...

Every day that man is doing more and more things to tick me off. The latest of making government secrets public is just another head shaker. He won't be happy until the entire world is laughing at us and we are all global. I do remember him not putting his hand over his heart and refusing to put his hand on the bible to swear in.

I loved the jokes today.

Missie said...

That's why we no longer watch those news stations. Fox news is all we watch!

Anonymous said...

I don't watch TV, but I do read the paper & listen to news radio, & I'd not heard about the Georgetown issue. I will look it up.

Now the release of the terrorists I did read about & I am still somewhat baffled.

I've never said: Hold my purse.
~Mary

Paula said...

Like Julia I remember him not putting his hand over his heart and that is the exact reason I didn't vote for him. In fact I'm sorry to say I didn't vote period this time as I didn't see anyone I wanted to vote for.

Rose said...

I agree with Garnett on this one.

I guess I missed the the little deal about the Georgetown University

Hugs,Rose

Heli gunner Tom said...

Hey Jimmy,
That was a great post, and I agree with all you said!
But what can we expect unless the pirates let enough blood before the world gets serious about doing something. I would like to stop aiding their host countries, personally. They are not what I would call 'Robin Hoods.' Great point about obama too!

Tom S
tschuckman@aol.com

Joann said...

Good Entry, as always!! I agree with your ideas on stopping piracy!!

Pamela said...

I don't know what to say about Obama...all I can say is that I didn't vote for that guy! UGH!

I agree with you on the pirates. They are laughing and just waiting for another ship to come along. Sick.
Always enjoy coming over here. You always make me smile.
xoxox

Unknown said...

You are so right Jimmy about those dam pirate's! I love all your jokes and the fruit picture brought the LOL's! Have a great day :)