Monday, April 28, 2014

Meet Samantha


Meet my new BFF, Samantha (Sam) B. Moran, whose name was chosen under circumstances which I will partially reveal as I relate her story. For those who are familiar with my pal Possum S. Hemmingway, the middle initial has an important significance as does the surname.

Samantha is her formal name and the initial has several meanings. Possum's middle initial was a nickname, known by most of his friends and readers.

In Samantha's case, I was torn between names. I once had a sweet female named Samantha who was with me for over 14 years. By the same token, I once had a cat named Blackie who was also with me for along period of time. Bottom line, most of the time I refer to her as Sam.


Sam's Picture (above) was on Facebook and looking for a home. My new friends Tom and Michelle had found and were caring for her. Their problem was they have a German shepherd and the chance of fighting was a possibility. Although I had recently lost my pal Possum, I just couldn't deny this juvenile kitty a place to call home.

Tom took Sam (who they called "Buddy") to the Broward Humane society to be spayed, micro-chipped and vaccinated (at Tom and Michelle's own expense). When I picked her up on Friday evening, the vet said that she had been pregnant and he had to abort her kittens. You can see the area where they operated on her in the (top) featured picture.

I have taken several pictures of her, but she's still recovering and doesn't seem in the mood to pose. She's still a bit skittish and considering she left people she knew, had an operation and met me, she's doing relatively well.

She's eating well, but after eating, she prefers to nap and continue to recuperate. I put her on my bed the last two nights and she's been sleeping there.

So, there you have it, my friends. I'm on a new path with a new little pal and hopefully, everything will turn out well. I'll be posting more pictures as she eventually learns how to ham it up for the camera. Sam will also be narrating future posts of Possum's Journal. The name will not change however. It will always be Possum's Journal.


The News As I See It: The city of Chicago is building a new high school named after Obama. Their student government isn’t very good, but the golf team is amazing.

They're auctioning off things from the Titanic. There's a menu of what was being served in the dining room the night the "Titanic" sank. The salad they were featuring that night was iceberg lettuce.

Obama was in Japan visiting the Benihana Training Institute. When Obama and Biden are out of the country, they turn over nuclear launch codes to Oprah.

More than 70,000 people will travel to Indianapolis this weekend for the annual meeting of the National Rifle Association. The weekend will feature a brunch, a gun raffle and no sudden movements.

Facebook has come out with a new feature that lets people see where their friends are at all times. It's called, "Nearby Friends,” which is better than the original title, "Avoiding Relatives."

This Date In History: 1788; Maryland became the 7th state in the United States. 1789; Fletcher Christian led the mutiny aboard the British ship Bounty against Captain William Bligh.

1945; Benito Mussolini was executed. 1947; Thor Heyerdahl and five others began their Pacific Ocean crossing on the raft, Kon-Tiki.

1967; Boxing champion Muhammad Ali refused to be inducted into the Army. 1992; The U.S. Dept. of Agriculture unveiled its first "food pyramid." 2001; Dennis Tito became the first space tourist.

Picture Of The Day: The adventures of Tom and Jerry......


Printable Things I Never Told You: 1) People who argue on their cell phones in public should have to do it on speakerphone so the rest of us can get both sides of the story. 2) (Me): "Don't worry, the spider is smaller than you" (Her): "Yeah....so is a grenade." 3) Cats are smarter than dogs. You can't get eight cats to pull a sled through the snow. 4) She asked for my name and if I was alone. She had me remove my belt, shoes and instructed me to take out what I have in my pants. Interactions with TSA agents are underrated. 5) My girlfriend just opened a bottle of wine so my chances of getting laid tonight just went from 0 to 750ml.....and that's five !

Today's HoroscopePisces - April 28th: The morning hours will be just so-so today and tomorrow your gas tank will go from zero to $50 in under a minute. A liter of Johnnie Walker Black scotch will take you blissfully to the weekend and a rousing Saturday night. Sunday morning, you will probably wake up underneath your neighbor's swing-set.

Birthdays: James Monroe, 5th president of the United States 1758, Marie Joseph Chenier, poet and dramatist 1764, Lionel Barrymore, actor 1878, Harper Lee author 1926, Saddam Hussein, political dictator 1937, Jay Leno, talk-show host 1950, Penélope Cruz, actress 1974.

The AREA 51 Retirement Home Bar And Grill: A man went to church one day and afterward he stopped to shake the preacher's hand. He said, "Preacher, I’ll tell you, that was a damned fine sermon. Damned good!" The preacher said, '"Thank you sir, but I'd rather you didn't use profanity."

The man said, "I was so damned impressed with that sermon I put five thousand dollars in the offering plate!" The preacher said, "No shit?"

Dear Lord: These past couple of years have been tough. You have taken my favorite Actor Patrick Swayze, my favorite actress Elizabeth Taylor, my favorite Cowboy James Arness, my favorite athlete Bob Feller, my favorite singer Lena Horne and my favorite sales pitchman Billy Mays. I just wanted you to know that my favorite president is Barack Obama. Amen!!
 

The Hits Just Keep On Coming: Two old ladies were chatting one day. They were talking about this and that and the subject finally got around to sex. The first old lady said she enjoyed sex all the time and just as much as ever. The second old lady was surprised and asked her what her secret was.

The first old lady said when she hears her husband pulling the car into the garage she hurries and takes a shower, jumps into bed and throws her feet up over her head. When her husband comes into the bedroom he gets turned on and has his way with her.

The second old lady decides to try this approach so that night when she heard her husband coming home, she takes a quick shower, jumps into bed and throws her feet up over her head.

Her husband comes into the bedroom takes one look and says, "For God's sake Maude, we're having company tonight. Comb your hair and put your teeth in."

A man was at his bank and there was a short line. There was just one lady in front of him, an Asian lady who was trying to exchange yen for dollars. It was obvious she was a little irritated.

She asked the teller, "Why it change? Yesterday, I get two hunat dolla for yen. Today I only get hunat eighty? Why it change?" The teller shrugged his shoulders and said, "Fluctuations." The Asian lady says, "Fluc you white people too"

That's it for today, my little furballs. Remember, you know you're getting old when you have to have a drink to motivate you to go out and have a drink.

More on Wednesday.

Stay Tuned !

10 comments:

Linda's World said...

She is BEAUTIFUL! (I'm going to refer to her as Sammy, however) I just know you & her are going to get along just fine. PSH would approve of your choice but Donald Sterling would not. HIS LOSS!!! I'm so happy for both you and Ms Samantha! May you have many happy years together.

Tom said...

Jimmy I love your latest post in your blog. What I like even more is that this sweet kitty has gotten a great loving home. She looks so comfortable.......big difference from where she was this time last week. I never thought she would end up so lucky........

jack69 said...

Love the Introduction to tonights entry and to Samantha. Hope all goes well with little fluctuations...
Take care and enjoy the evening, I am busy studying for my blood test tomorrow.
Love the pictures. Sam looks smaller when nestled in mama's breast! LOL

Paula said...

Welcome to Samantha. Won't take her long to lead you around by the nose. Wishing you two many years together.

salemslot9 said...

hi Sam

I bet you'll be doing
a happy dance, soon

great news, Jimmy!

love

Melanie said...

AWWWW what a beautiful lady!!


She will have a great home with you Jim!


Melanie

Anonymous said...

Jim, Samantha is beautiful!!! And I agree with everyone else, Possum would definitely have loved her too! Congratulations and I pray many many years of happiness.

Love you

Jimmy's Journal said...

Thanks everybody for your kind responses. They are appreciated more than you know!

Jimmy

REGINA said...

one fabulous feline, samantha is. i can hear possum purring satisfactorily at the rainbow bridge. may you two have many many many years of happiness together. after all, she is being very kind to let you live in her house. snicker.

REGINA said...

just a thought too.....maybe create her own journal, samantha's saga, and she can guest host on possum's journal.