Monday, July 30, 2012

AREA 51 - An Evening At Holleman's Restaurant


My Friday night jaunt to AREA 51 turned out to a great evening. I went to Holleman's Restaurant in Miami Springs to see my pal Randy and also to see Ileana, a fellow blogger and online friend. The Karaoke show was in full swing and I sat with Randy, reminiscing about our old high school days.

I chatted with Randy and his brother for a while and then Ileana stopped by to say hello. I had a great time talking and joking with Iliana and eventually went up to sing a song. I had several requests, but I sang anyway. I hung out with my friends until the bar closed.

From Hollemans, I headed over to the Billiards Club and caught some of the Olympic programming on the big television screens. Sometime in the wee hours, I figured it was time to race the newspaper boy to my front door and call it a night. The paperboy won this time as I arrived a little after 5 am.

I sat down to have a nightcap and watch television for a while. My only error was that I leaned back in the recliner or as I like to call it, "put it in cruise control." I awoke around 10 am with my cat, Possum sleeping comfortably on my chest. Life is good.....


The News As I See It: A judge has ruled that Katherine Jackson, Michael’s mother, will no longer have custody of Michael’s kids because of bad decisions. Not only that, but they took down her statue from the Neverland Ranch.

New Jersey Governor Chris Christie said he will think about running for president in 2016 if Obama wins in November. Until then, he said he'll just think about pancakes.

Mitt Romney annoyed the British by saying that London seemed unprepared for the Olympics. You know, putting his foot in his mouth like that is not very presidential. Vice presidential, sure, but not presidential.

The cast of "Modern Family" delayed production for the upcoming season due to a contract dispute. I think I speak on behalf of men everywhere when I say, "Give Sofia Vergara whatever she wants."


This Date In History: 1619; The first legislative assembly in English North America convened in Jamestown, Virginia. 1729; The U.S. city of Baltimore was founded. 1932; The tenth modern Olympic Games opened in Los Angeles.

1945; The USS Indianapolis was torpedoed by a Japanese submarine and sank within 15 minutes. It was one of the greatest naval losses of World War II, resulting in the deaths of nearly 900 men.

1956; The phrase "In God We Trust" was adopted as the U.S. national motto. 1965; President Lyndon Johnson signed the Medicare Bill into law. 1975; Former Teamsters union president James Hoffa was reported missing. Many suspect he was murdered, though his remains have never been found.

1980; The Republic of Vanuatu, formerly known as the New Hebrides, gained its independence from France and Britain. 2002; Lisa Leslie became the first woman to dunk in a professional basketball game.

Picture Of The Day: Mae and Dave's, an old Hialeah, Florida hangout and sort of an institution dating back as long as I can remember.


Printable Things I Never Told You: 1) I have never seen a brunette with blond roots. 2) Before Walmart, I used to have to buy a ticket to the circus to see the bearded lady. 3) Always be careful if you go to a bar that has a black light, because I was under the impression that the mustard stain came out. 4) I went to a cigar store and the guy behind the counter asked me, "What kind of cigars do you like?" I answered, "It's a Boys." 5) Ladies, leave your eyebrows alone. Here's how much men care about your eyebrows: Do you have two of them? Okay, we're done.....and that's five !

Today's Horoscope: Leo - July 30th: Now that you're finally getting over your weekend antics, I suggest that you maintain a low profile until all of the various social sites quit running those pictures that seemed funny at the time. Seriously, you're not the first to wear a lampshade as a hat. Chance of romance is 17.62 percent.

Birthdays: My pal Sidney who I watched perform Friday night at Holleman's Restaurant - Happy Birthday young lady! 19XX, Emily Brontë, author 1818, Thorstein Veblen, economist 1857, Henry Ford, American industrialist, pioneer automobile manufacturer 1863, Casey Stengel, baseball player and manager 1891, Henry Moore, sculptor 1898, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Governor of California, actor(?) 1947, Lisa Kudrow, actress 1963.

The AREA 51 Retirement Home Bar And Grill:

An old man took a Escalade for a test drive, just to drive that sucker before they become extinct. The salesman sat in the back seat describing the car and all it's wonderful options. The seats were of particular interest.

He explained that the seats directed warm air to your butt in the winter and directed cool air to your butt in the summer heat. The old man said, "This must be a Republican car." The salesman asked why the old man thought it was a Republican car. The old man answered, "If it were a Democrat car, the seats would blow smoke up your ass year-round."

While shopping for vacation clothes, a husband and wife passed a display of bathing suits. It had been at least ten years and twenty pounds since she had even considered buying a bathing suit, so she sought her husband's advice.

She asked, "What do you think?" Should I get a bikini or an all-in-one?" Her husband replied, "Better get a bikini. You'd never get it all in one."
 

The Hits Just Keep On Coming:

Annoyed by the professor of anatomy who liked to tell "naughty" stories during class, a group of female students decided that the next time he started to tell one, they would all rise and leave the room in protest. The professor, however, got wind of their scheme just before class the following day, so he bided his time.

Then, halfway through the lecture, he began, "They say there is quite a shortage of prostitutes in France." The girls looked at one another, arose and started for the door. The professor said with a broad smile, "Young ladies, the next plane doesn't leave till tomorrow afternoon."

Jim and Bob are out golfing. Jim slices his ball deep into a wooded ravine. He grabs his 8-iron and proceeds down the embankment into the ravine in search of his ball. The brush is quite thick, but Jim searches diligently and suddenly he spots something shiny.

As he gets closer, he realizes that the shiny object is in fact an 8-iron in the hands of a skeleton lying near an old golf ball. Jim calls out to his golfing partner in an agitated voice, "Hey Bob, come here, I got trouble down here."

Bob comes running over to the edge of the ravine and calls out, "What's the matter Jim?" Jim shouts back, "Throw me my 7-iron! You can't get out of here with an 8-iron."

That's it for today, my little chicklets. Remember, as you slide down the banister of life, make sure the splinters never point the wrong way. More on Wednesday.

Stay Tuned !

3 comments:

jack69 said...

Good read today, I did like the take on 'foot in mouth', being vice presidential not presidential.

Sad thing, I just read "USS Indianapolis Tragedy at Sea", and it really was.

Take care and have a great evening. Enjoyed your account of the evening and morn out!!!! And to wake with a little Pussy cat on your chest, is a winner!!!

Paula said...

Nice you were able to meet a fellow blogger. I was able to meet a young lady who was in San Antonio for a school several years ago. She drove down and spent about three hours with me. I took her out to eat and we drove out to the ranch. She gave up blogging to spend her time on Facebook like so many have done.

Julie said...

Loved the jokes as usual. Man, I am lucky if I make it til 8:30 these days.