Monday, January 6, 2014

The Everly Brothers - Their Music Lives On.....


I was deeply saddened to hear of the passing of  Phil Everly, whose high, close-harmony singing with his older brother, Don, made the Everly Brothers one of the biggest rock and country acts of the 1950s and early 1960s. Everly died Friday evening in Burbank, California of complications from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

The Everly Brothers profoundly influenced 1960s-era groups and singer-songwriters ranging from Beatles John Lennon and Paul McCartney, who early in their careers called themselves the Foreverly Brothers, to Simon and Garfunkel, the Byrds, the Hollies and the Beach Boys.

My music was very much influenced early by Hank Williams and later by the Everly Brothers. My brother Kirt and I always included their music in our duets.

Phil Everly was 74 years old. Rest in peace, Phil.....


The News As I See It: The nation's cold weather has been terrible. A friend who lives in North Dakota said that the snow is nearly waist high and still falling. The temperature is 32 below zero, the north wind is increasing to gale force and the wind chill is -55. Her husband just stares through the kitchen window. She says that if it gets much worse, she may have to let the drunken bastard in.

Scam artists are trying to take advantage of the problems with the Obamacare website. Experts say you can tell it's a scam site if you enter your information and it quickly and efficiently signs you up for healthcare.

This Date In History: 1540; King Henry VIII of England married his 4th wife, Anne of Cleves. 1759; George Washington married Martha Custis. 1838; Samuel Morse gave the first public demonstration of the telegraph. 1912; New Mexico became the 47th state in the United States.

1919; Former president Theodore Roosevelt died in Oyster Bay, New York. 1987; University of California astronomers first witnessed the birth of a galaxy that contained 1 billion stars. 1994; Figure skater Nancy Kerrigan clubbed on leg by men including husband of rival skater Tonya Harding.

Picture Of The Day: The Everly Brothers reunion concert at the Royal Albert Hall in London on September 23, 1983 was probably the best Everly Brothers concert I ever saw. Well performed and expertly recorded and produced by HBO, it is a definite must see and hear. It can be seen in it's entirety on YouTube.


Printable Things I Never Told You: 1) I don't have a Twitter account, so I just go around announcing out loud what I'm doing at various times. I've got three followers so far, but I think two are cops. 2) This salad tastes like I'm about done with my New Year's Resolution. 3) By the power vested in me by this case of beer, I now pronounce these three loads of laundry as one. 4) Xanax... Keeping moms from dropping their kids off at an orphanage since 1981. 5) I was sending an email and my computer tells me, "You're attachment is too large." I blushed and responded coyly, "My eyes are up here".....and that's five !

Today's HoroscopeCapricorn - January 6th: Screaming "Death to the Infidel" as you're walking through busy airports or shopping centers is not a good idea and my leave you with bruises in special places.

Birthdays: My friends Buddy, Jackie, Louis and Natasha - Happy Birthday all 19XX, Heinrich Schliemann, archaeologist 1822, Carl Sandburg, American poet and biographer 1878, Tom Mix, actor 1880, Khalil Gibran, poet and novelist 1883, Abram Nicholas Pritzker. entrepreneur 1896, Loretta Young. actress 1913, Danny Thomas, actor, comedian singer, dancer 1914, E L Doctorow, novelist 1931, Rowan Atkinson, actor 1955, Nancy Lopez, golfer 1957.


The AREA 51 Retirement Home Bar And Grill: A Utah Mormon was seated next to an Irish Catholic on a flight back to the United States from London. After the plane was airborne, drink orders were taken. The Irishman asked for a whiskey and a glass of Guinness, which were promptly brought and placed before him.

The flight attendant then asked the Mormon if he would like a drink. He replied in disgust, "I'd rather be savagely raped by a dozen whores than let liquor touch my lips." The Irishman then handed his drinks back to the attendant and said, "Me too, I didn't know we had a choice."

A cowboy walks into a pharmacy and says, "Give me 3 packets of condoms, please." The cashier asked, "Do you need a paper bag with that, sir?" The cowboy replied, "Nah... She's purty good lookin'....."


The Hits Just Keep On Coming: My thanks to my pals Mike and Vivian for their contributions to today's stories.

A Scotsman, an Englishman and an Irishman were drinking at a local pub. The Scotsman said, "As good as this bar is, I still prefer the pubs back home. In Glasgow, there's a wee place called McTavish's. The landlord goes out of his way for the locals.When you buy four drinks, he'll buy the fifth drink."

The Englishman said, "Well, Angus, at my local saloon in London , the Red Lion, the bartender will buy you your third drink after you buy the first two.

The Irishman said, "That's nothing. Back home in me favorite pub in Galway, the moment you set foot in the place, they'll buy you a drink, then another. All the drinks you like, actually. Then, when you've had enough drinks,they'll take you upstairs and see that you get laid, all on the house!"

The Englishman and Scotsman were suspicious of the claims. One of them asked, "Did this actually happen to you?" The Irishman admitted, "No, not meself personally, but it did happen to me sister quite a few times."

Hillary Clinton is out walking and she passes a young boy selling puppies. The boy asks, "Would you like to buy a puppy Ma'am?" Hillary says, "No, sorry, but we have a cat already." The enterprising lad says, "But they are Democrat puppies, Ma'am." Clinton smiles, but again declines. The boy nods and Clinton walks on.

The next day, Hillary is walking by the same spot. There again is the boy still trying to sell the puppies. As Clinton walks by she overhears the youth telling the potential customer, "But sir, these are Republican puppies."

Clinton stops and says, "Young man, yesterday you told me those were Democrat puppies and today you are saying they are Republican puppies" The child replies, "Yes Ma'am."

Hillary then asks, "Well, if they were Democrat puppies yesterday, how could they be Republican puppies today?" The young man replied, "Well Ma'am, since then, they've opened their eyes."

That's it for today, my little furballs. Remember, do not drink and drive because there are people out there who text and drive and they will hit you and it will be your fault !

More on Wednesday.

Stay Tuned !

1 comment:

jack69 said...

It is sad when a piece of your youth passes. It is even scarier when I realize I am 2 days older than Phil. I was never a singer, but holding a girl to the music of the Everly Brothers was a treat. Loved their music.

Only a man can declare three loads of clothes as one. (Loved that one)

They have added to the choices on flights since I quit, that is for sure.

I figure you must know the Irishman's sister! (Wild guess)

Keep a light in the window, we will be down about 3am temps are dropping like a rock here.