Friday, April 17, 2015

Bass Fishing In The Everglades


You've either done it or you've not. There's no in-between. Fishing, especially bass fishing, is addictive. My dad introduced me to fishing and, over the years, I introduced my children and others. I've done both fresh water and saltwater fishing and love them both, but today's post is about bass fishing in the 'Glades.

My father took us fishing everywhere and I still remember fishing for bream as a small lad using a cane pole and a bobber. Of course, my father knew a lot more about fishing, but we were just to small to fish for anything else.


As I grew older, my horizons expanded and by age 12, I was already a fairly good fisherman. We expanded our outings to fishing and camping out and soon, we began fishing in the Glades.

Over the years, I fished just about every spot imaginable with family and friends. The unfortunate part was that back in the day, cameras weren't that good and many times forgotten. If I could do it all over again, I'd make sure I took more pictures.


In the early '80s, I introduced the kids to camping and fishing in the 'Glades and watching them fish and then swim in the canals was one of my favorite memories.


People and places like, Mack and Nell Jones, owners of Mack's Fishing Camp will always hold a special place in my heart. Fishing L-67 and L-28, Lake Okeechobee, the Fire Tower road are also great memories.

I get a kick out of television shows portraying men and the "dangers" of the Everglades. I've waded in the swamps fishing for bass and swam in the canals when it got hot. Once, while wading (unbeknownst to me), a 5 foot gator was sunning itself on fallen tree branch.

When I realized it was a gator, I turned to run out of the 4 foot deep water, stepped into a hole and nearly drowned on seaweed. It scared the gator and me both. Gators aren't aggressive except during mating season or when a female is guarding a nest.



This particular canal produced the bass pictured below some twenty years earlier just after the canal was dug. It's located just one mile east of L-67 running south to Tamiami Trail. This picture was taken 35 years ago.


It just goes to show you the adage is true. Time flies when you're having a good time.....

After the kids got over their initial fear and screaming, they took to swimming in the canal like ducks to water

The News As I See It: Hillary Clinton is making income inequality a central theme in her campaign. Yeah, for example, today she pointed out that her husband makes $300 million a year. She has to get by on $200 million a year, and that's not fair.

Hillary drove across Iowa in a van. She wanted to get to know the people she'll never see again in her life. She stopped at a Chipotle in her best tortilla pantsuit.

Fifty-seven percent of the people believe Hillary Clinton will be the next president. Now 43 percent of the people in that poll believe Hillary Clinton is already president.

A Wisconsin woman recently got a high school diploma at the age of 103 and says she is now considering going to college. Friends are recommending a two-year college.

This Date In History: 1790; Benjamin Franklin, U.S. patriot, diplomat, and a signer of the Declaration of Independence, died in Philadelphia. 1895; The Sino-Japanese War ended with the signing of the Treaty of Shimonoseki.

1937; Daffy Duck made his debut in Porky's Duck Hunt. 1961; Supported by the U.S. government, 1,500 exiles made the unsuccessful Bay of Pigs invasion in Cuba. 1964; Geraldine Mock became the first woman to fly solo around the world.

1969; Sirhan Sirhan was convicted for the murder of Robert F. Kennedy. 1970; The Apollo 13 astronauts safely splashed down after their near-disastrous flight. 1975; Phnom Penh fell to the Khmer Rouge, ending the five year Cambodian war.

Picture Of The Day: The Obama Administration Part Three. Vote for the first Mulatto Black president and then vote for the first female president. Ability, morals and background history be damned.....


Printable Things I Never Told You: 1) I think there should be a mandatory IQ test at age 16 that you have to pass and if not, you get neutered or spayed. 2) Is it considered rude to ask your co-worker if it hurt when the house fell on her in The Wizard of Oz? 3) I hope people who say "Jesus is my co-pilot" realize he's a 1st century carpenter with no time in a flight simulator. 4) If you are going to call the cops every time you spot me in your bushes, I don't think this relationship is going to work. 5) I went for my routine checkup today and everything seemed to be going fine until he stuck his index finger up my ass. I think I'm going to change dentists.....and that's five !

Today's HoroscopeAries - April 17th: Your lucky goat name for today is Penelope. Walk without shoes for a day and you will soon understand the nature of the sole.......soul.

Birthdays: J. P. Morgan, financier 1837, Isak Dinesen, author 1885, Nikita Khrushchev, Soviet Communist leader, premier of the USSR (1958–64) and first secretary of the Communist party of the Soviet Union (1953–64) 1894, Thornton Wilder, playwright 1897, Harry Reasoner, media journalist 1923.


The AREA 51 Retirement Home Bar And Grill: During a recent password audit by a company, it was determined that a blonde employee was using the following password:

"MickeyMinniePlutoHueyDeweyLouieDonaldGoofySacrament"

When asked why she had such a long password, she rolled her eyes and said, "Hello! It has to have at least eight characters and include at least one capital."

A man picked up his lovely date at her parent's home. He had saved enough money to take her to a fancy restaurant. She ordered shrimp cocktail, foie gras, lobster and Dom Perignon champagne, the most expensive items on the menu.

He asked her, "Does your mother feed you like that when you eat at home?" She replied, "No, but my mother's not expecting sex tonight." He asked, "What would you like for dessert?"

This picture was taken in the '60s with the "new" instant Polaroid camera. After the picture came out, you had to rub a substance on it to preserve it. (Little Traci on the lower right is a grandmother now)

The Hits Just Keep On Coming: A doctor goes out and buys the best car on the market, a brand new Ferrari GTO. It is also the most expensive car in the world, and it costs him $500,000. He takes it out for a spin and stops at a red light. An old man on a Moped motor bike pulls up next to him.

The old man looks over at the sleek shiny car and asks, "What kind of car ya got there, Sonny?" The doctor replies, "A Ferrari GTO. It cost half a million dollars!" The old man says, "That's a lot of money! Why does it cost so much?" The doctor states proudly, "Because this car can do up to 250 miles an hour!"

The Moped driver asks, "Mind if I take a look inside?" The doctor answers, "No problem." So the old man pokes his head in the window and looks around. Then, sitting back on his Moped, the old man says, "That's a pretty nice car, all right, but I'll stick with my Moped!"

Just then the light changes, so the doctor decides to show the old man just what his car can do. He floors it, and within 30 seconds, the speedometer reads 150 mph.

Suddenly, he notices a dot in his rear what it could be and suddenly, Whoosh! Something whips by him going much faster! The doctor asks himself, "What on earth could be going faster than my Ferrari?"

He floors the accelerator and takes the Ferrari up to 175 mph. Then, up ahead of him, he sees that it's the old man on the Moped! 

Amazed that the Moped could pass his Ferrari, he gives it more gas and passes the moped at 210 mph. Whoosh! He's feeling pretty good until he looks in his mirror and sees the old man gaining on him again!

Astounded by the speed of his old guy, he floors the gas pedal and takes the Ferrari all the way up to 250 mph. Not ten seconds later,he sees the Moped bearing down on him again! The Ferrari is flat out and there's nothing he can do!

Suddenly, the Moped plows into the back of his Ferrari, demolishing the rear end. The doctor stops and jumps out and ,unbelievably, the old man is still alive.

He runs up to the old man and says, "My Gosh! Is there anything I can do for you?" The old man whispers, "Yeah, unhook my suspenders from your side mirror."

A man was telling his buddy, "You won't believe what happened last night. My daughter walked into the living room and said, ‘Dad, cancel my allowance immediately, rent my room out, throw all my clothes out the window, take my TV, and my laptop'."

The man continued, "Then she said, 'Please take all of my jewelry to the Salvation Army. Then, sell my car, take my front door key away from me and throw me out of the house. Then, disown me and never talk to me again. Don't forget to write me out of your will’."

His buddy said, "Holy Smoke, she actually said that?" The man replied, "Well, she didn't put it quite like that. She walked in with  two weirdos and said, 'Dad, meet my new friends, D'Antwone and Mohammad. We're going to work together on Hillary's election campaign'."

That's it for today, my little furballs. Remember, alcohol doesn't cause hangovers, waking up does. I'm heading over to AREA 51 for happy hour.

Follow Jimmy's Journal on Facebook by clicking the "Follow This Blog" button at the top right of the page.

Have a great weekend and more on Monday.

Stay Tuned !

1 comment:

jack69 said...

That is the most bass I have ever seen. I learned over the years there are fishermen and folks who like to fish. I am one who likes to fish. My BIL was the Fisherman in our family, If there was water, it meant FISH!
My favorite fish is the Florida Speck. I don't fish for bass anymore since Sherry out 'bass'd' ,me. I noticed one shot you had a biggie, must a been 16 lbs.
As always the laughs are good and the news. Thanks.
From a rainy, muddy NC

PS> I agree, change dentists!