Wednesday, June 24, 2015

What Woman Will Be On The New $10 Bill (Clinton)?


They're putting a woman on the $10 bill. I have no problems with putting a woman on money (no pun intended), but I would opt for the $20 instead of the $10. If I had to choose, I'd remove Andrew Jackson before Alexander Hamilton, one of the founding fathers.

The $10 bill announcement by Treasury Secretary Jack Lew was intended to set off both a celebration and a great national debate. For the first time in more than a century, the portrait of a woman would grace a major denomination of U.S. paper currency and the government wanted the public to help decide which heroine of democracy would receive the honor.

The redesigned sawbuck would be unveiled in 2020, in time for the centennial anniversary of women’s suffrage. Some of the nation’s most prominent voices have been fighting to save the founding father she would displace.....Alexander Hamilton.

Chief among them was Ben Bernanke, who as chairman of the Federal Reserve oversaw the central bank responsible for issuing the nation’s currency. “I must admit I was appalled to hear of Treasury Secretary Jack Lew's decision last week to demote Alexander Hamilton from his featured position on the ten dollar bill,” the typically-circumspect ex-chairman wrote on the blog he publishes for the Brooking Institution.

In a piece devoted to the exaltation of the country’s first Treasury secretary, Bernanke added that placing a woman on a currency note was “a fine idea, but it shouldn't come at Hamilton's expense.” On the White House’s “We the People” website, two separate petitions have been launched to keep Hamilton on the $10 bill.

The controversy stems from the messy convergence of a grassroots movement and a federal bureaucracy moving at its ordinary, glacial pace. For months, a campaign called Women on 20s has been gaining steam in its bid to pressure the Treasury Department into replacing Andrew Jackson on the $20 bill with a woman in time for the 2020 commemoration of the 19th Amendment guaranteeing women the right to vote.
  

The News As I See It: During a podcast interview, Obama dropped the N-word. In a related story, his new rap album drops on Wednesday.

From now on, I will exchange Father's Day greetings only with people who have seen me in my underwear, in person. If you've seen me in my underwear in a bar, that doesn't count.

Last weekend, The Washington Nationals’ Max Scherzer pitched a no-hitter against the Pittsburgh Pirates. He said it was his Father’s Day gift to his dad. Then his brother said, "Uh, can you put my name on that too? I got him a mug."

Obama has 19 months left and media outlets are speculating about what his legacy will be. Some think it could be healthcare or the trade deal, however most people believe that it's because he was the first mulatto president.

This Date In History: 1509; Henry VIII was crowned king of England. 1647; Early American feminist Margaret Brent demanded a seat and vote in the Maryland Assembly, but was ejected from that body.

1675; King Philip's War, the most devastating war between the colonists and Indians, began with Indians attacking the Swansea (Massachusetts) settlement. 1908; The 22nd and 24th president of the United States, Grover Cleveland, died in Princeton, N.J.

1947; Kenneth Arnold, an American pilot, reported seeing strange objects near Mt. Rainier, Washington. He described them as "saucers skipping across the water," hence the term "flying saucers" was born.

1948; The Soviet Union began a blockade of Berlin. Allied forces responded with what would be known as the Berlin Airlift flying in more than 2 million tons of supplies over the next year.

1997; The U.S. Air Force released The Roswell Report, closing the case on the 1947 Roswell, N.M. incident concerning UFOs and alien bodies. 2011; New York passes a law to allow same-sex marriage, becoming the largest state that allows gay and lesbian couples to marry.

2012; Lonesome George, the last known Pinta Island Tortoise, died at a Galapagos National Park, making the subspecies extinct.

Picture Of The Day: Beyond words. Add your own punchline.


Printable Things I Never Told You: 1) My divorce came to me as a complete surprise. That's what happens when you haven't been home in five years. 2) Men reach their sexual peak around age 18 while women reach their sexual peak around age 35. Just about the time women reach their sexual peak, men are beginning to realize they have a favorite chair. 3) I used to date a woman who couldn't cook although she protested that she could. Hey, even I know that fabric softener doesn't go into meatloaf. 4) I wish today's youth had to endure the humiliation of having your dad pick up the landline phone and start dialing while you're talking on it.  5) At the young age of 5, a bear wearing a hat told me that I am the only person who can prevent forest fires. Why I was chosen, I'll never know but I'll carry this burden the rest of my life.....and that's five !

Today's HoroscopeCancer - June 24th: This week may start poorly, but it's going to be a decisive winner for you. Remember, it's always darkest just before dawn, so if you're going to steal your neighbor's newspaper, that's the time to do it.

Birthdays: Sir John Ross, arctic explorer 1777, Henry Ward Beecher, clergyman 1813, Ambrose Bierce, satirist 1842, Jack Dempsey, world champion boxer 1895, John Ciardi, poet 1916, Anita Desai, writer 1937.

The AREA 51 Retirement Home Bar And Grill: An airline pilot hammered his plane into the runway really hard. The airline had a policy which required the first officer to stand at the door while the passengers exited, smile, and give them a "Thanks for flying XYZ airline."

In light of his bad landing, he had a hard time looking the passengers in the eye, thinking that someone would have a smart comment.

Finally everyone had gotten off except for this little old lady walking with a cane. She said, "Sonny, mind if I ask you a question?" The pilot said, "Why no Ma'am, what is it?" The little old lady said, "Did we land or were we shot down?"

Two girlfriends, a blonde and a redhead, are walking down the street and pass a flower shop where the redhead happens to see her boyfriend buying flowers. She sighs and says, "Oh, crap, my boyfriend is buying me flowers again."

The blonde looks quizzically at her and says, "You don't like getting flowers?" The redhead says, "I love getting flowers, but he always has expectations after giving me flowers. I just don't feel like spending the next three days on my back with my legs in the air." The blonde says, "Don't you have a vase?"

The Hits Just Keep On Coming: A driver is stuck in a traffic jam on the highway. Nothing is moving. Suddenly, a man knocks on the window. The driver rolls down the window and asks the man, "What's going on?"

The man says, "Terrorists have kidnapped Obama and are asking for a $10 million dollar ransom. Otherwise, they are going to douse him in gasoline and set him on fire. We are going from car to car, taking up a collection."

The driver asks, "How much is everyone giving?" The man replies, "On average, about a gallon."

A farmer went to town to see a movie. The ticket agent asked, "Sir, what’s that under your arm?" The old farmer said, "That’s my pet rooster Chucky, wherever I go, Chucky goes." The ticket agent said, "We don’t allow animals in the theater."

The irritated old farmer went around the corner and stuffed the bird down his pants. He returned to the booth, bought a ticket and entered the theater. He sat down next to two old widows named Mildred and Marge.

The movie started and the rooster began to squirm. The old farmer unzipped his pants so Chucky could stick his head out and watch the movie.

Mildred whispered, "Marge, I think this guy next to me is a pervert." Marge replied, "What makes you think that?" Mildred whispered, "He unzipped his pants and is exposing himself."

Marge said, "Well, don’t worry about it, At our age we’ve seen them all." Mildred said, "Yeah, but this one is eating my popcorn."

That's it for today, my little tangerines. Remember,always sing like no one is listening and dance like you need to be shot with a tranquilizer dart. I'm heading over to AREA 51 for happy hour.

Follow Jimmy's Journal on Facebook by clicking the "Follow This Blog" button at the top right of the page.

More on Friday.

Stay Tuned !

2 comments:

jack69 said...

You keep a lot of good looking ladies on the side bar.
Enjoyed the visit as always.
The guy with the shined wing-tips said, "I ain't sticking around for this $hit. Yellow cabs here I come."

Good night sir!

RealDreamer said...

I have yet to see you in your underwear anywear. And although I'm sure you've got great legs, I'd like to keep it that way. Lol

I like the idea of a female's face on money. (Can I submit a selfie?) I don't however like the idea of replacing someone who made history to accomplish this. So, my solution would be to incorporate the new female $7 bill. Yes, lucky 7. Think of the possibilities.