Monday, June 29, 2015

A Tribute To A Dear Friend


I learned last week that my dear friend Mercy Silva Hernandez passed away after a gallant fight with cancer. Mercy and I met in the early '70s and was one of the finest persons I've ever known. Although I learned this last week, I needed some time to consider how I would write this memorium.

Mercy was a successful real estate agent and mortgage broker, but more importantly, a great friend. I don't handle prolonged sickness or death well, yet somehow I feel relieved knowing that Mercy is no longer suffering and is in a better place.

Aside from our friendship, Mercy and I served together on the Miami Dade Board of Realtors. Each board member is required to chair a sub-committee. Neither Mercy nor I were interested in any political committees, so we co-chaired the Social Committee, which consisted of planning banquets, parties and like invents. It was tantamount to leaving mice to tend the cheese. We threw some classic parties.

Mercy and her husband, Pedro, also had a yearly Christmas party at their business and those in the know were quite aware that this was a party not to be missed. Live music, in-house singers and performers, plenty of liquor and, my favorite, lechon asado (roasted pork), black beans and rice, platanos maduros (fried plantains) and yuca con mojo. Great times!

Fittingly, Mercy's birthday, is December 31st (New Year's Eve) and I spent many a New Year's Eve at Pedro and Mercy's house. As Mercy was an accomplished singer-musician, the room was filled with drums, congas and complete with a P.A. system and multiple microphones. The night was filled with dancing and singers. 

Mercy always smiled. I cannot ever remember seeing her angry. My heart goes out to her husband Pedro, her family and friends. I will miss Mercy, her infectious smile and the great times we spent together. Rest in peace my sweet friend.....


The News As I See It: In politics, you can't predict the outcome. Hillary was inevitable in '08 and then somebody newer and younger came along and it happened to her, just like with her husband...somebody newer and younger came along. This woman just can't catch a break.....it just keeps happening to her ~ Bill Maher (paraphrased)

Sarah Palin went on Facebook to announce that her daughter Bristol's wedding has been called off. She said the two families will still get together on the wedding day to "celebrate life." In other words, the caterers already have been paid for.

Apple is developing a service called Home Kit that will allow people to operate gadgets like garage openers and thermostats through one app. In related news, please don't tell my kids about this. They're already tired of explaining this new stuff to me.

This Date In History: 1613; London's Globe Theatre burned down during a performance of Shakespeare's Henry VIII. 1767; The British Parliament approved the Townshend Acts.

1972; The Supreme Court ruled in Furman v. Georgia that the death penalty could constitute "cruel and unusual" prompting some states to revise their laws.

1995; The shuttle Atlantis and the Russian space station Mir docked, forming the largest man-made satellite ever to orbit Earth. 2003; Actress Katharine Hepburn died.

Picture Of The Day: Chief Justice John Roberts saved Obamacare three years ago. On Thursday of last week, the George W. Bush appointee again helped Obama’s signature legislative achievement avoid a potentially devastating blow.

It’s a sad day for the Constitution when the clear terms of a statute can be "interpreted" away in the service of an aggressively lawless president. It is clearly evident that Republicans misjudged the chief justice when he was nominated a decade ago.

Thanks for the help, Bro. High five !

Printable Things I Never Told You: 1) I have no pride in relationships. My girlfriend broke up with me and I offered to stay on as the gardener. 2) I'm really not sure why people tell me to "be honest", then get all upset when I tell them their eyebrows need a divorce. 3) She said, "Go down a water slide without water and you'll understand why foreplay is so important." 4) Theme parks can snap a clear picture of you on a roller coaster at 70 mph, but bank cameras can't get a clear shot of a robber standing still.  5) 35 percent of all hospital deaths are caused by the attending physician failing to yell, "Don't you die on me!" at the right moment.....and that's five !

Today's HoroscopeCancer - June 29th: The lyrics, "rainy days and Mondays always get me down", won't apply to you today. Granted, today is Monday and the chance of rain is a proverbial crap shoot, but you'll escape from both in good shape. Chance of romance is twenty percent (it is Monday) but luck may come in another form. Don't get into an elevator with a midget.

Birthdays: George Goethals, engineer 1858, George Ellery Hale, astronomer 1868, James Van Der Zee, photographer 1886, Antoine de Saint Exupéry, aviator 1900, Slim Pickens, actor 1919.

The AREA 51 Retirement Home Bar And Grill: You know when you go into a restaurant and it gets busy? They start a waiting list and they start calling out names, "Obama, party of two." They say again, "Obama, party of two." But then if no one answers, they'll just go to the next name.

Yep, they just move on saying, "Biden, party of two." Yeah, but what happened to the Obamas? No one seems to care. Who can eat at a time like this? People are missing! And they're hungry! That's a double whammy! "

Biden, search party of two!" You can eat once you find the Obama! Next!......Donner, party of eighty-seven....."

Murray Lipschitz passed away. His will provided $30,000 for an elaborate funeral. As the last guests departed the affair, his wife, Rose, turned to her oldest friend and said, "Well, I'm sure Murray would be pleased." Her friend, Rachel, said, "I'm sure you're right."

Rachel lowered her voice, leaned in close and asked "How much did this really cost?" Rose said, "All of it....thirty thousand." Rachel exclaimed, "I mean, it was very nice, but $30,000?"

Rose answered, "The funeral was $6,500. I donated $500 to the synagogue. The wake, food and drinks were another $500. The rest went for the memorial stone."

Rachel computed quickly and said, "$22,500 for a memorial stone? My God, how big is it?" Rose said, "Two and a half carats."


The Hits Just Keep On Coming: Sleeping Beauty, Tom Thumb, and Quasimodo were all talking one day. Sleeping Beauty said, "I believe myself to be the most beautiful girl in the world." Tom Thumb said, "I must be the smallest person in the world." Quasimodo said, "I absolutely have to be the ugliest, most disgusting person in the world."

So they all decided to go to the Guinness Book of World Records to have their claims verified. Sleeping Beauty went in first and came out looking deliriously happy and said, "It's official, I am the most beautiful girl in the world."

Tom Thumb went next and emerged triumphant, saying. "I am now officially the smallest person in the world."

Sometime later, Quasimodo comes out looking utterly confused and says."Who the hell is Nancy Pelosi?"

There were two ministers, Johnson and Green, who met each Sunday morning riding to their particular church. They both enjoyed riding the bikes and talking.

Then one Sunday, Minister Johnson arrived walking. Minister Green asked, "My what happened to your bike?" Minister Johnson said, "Can you believe that someone in my congregation stole it?" Minister Green said, "My lord!"

Then an idea struck Minister Green, "You want to know how to get your bike back?" Minister Johnson replied, "Yeah." Minister Green said, "Next Sunday give a fire and brimstone sermon on the Ten Commandments and when you get to the part about 'Thou shall not steal', just look out into the congregation and see who looks guilty."

The next Sunday Minister Johnson comes riding up on his bike. Minister Green says, "Hey I see my suggestion worked." Minister Johnson said, "Well sort of. I was going along real good on the Ten Commandments and when I got to the part about Adultery, I remembered where I left my bike."

That's it for today, my little titmice. Remember, the phone will not ring until you leave your recliner and walk to the bathroom.

Follow Jimmy's Journal on Facebook by clicking the "Follow This Blog" button at the top right of the page.

More on Monday.

Stay Tuned !

7 comments:

Melanie said...

Sorry to hear about you loss


Melanie

jack69 said...

Very good friends are hard to find, Having found one, it is hard when they pass, Such a sweet treat to Mercy Silva Hernandez. YOu done well.
TAke care.

Julie said...

What a lovely tribute to your friend. I am so sorry to hear about your loss.

Paula said...

Sorry about the loss of your dear friend. Nice tribute to her.

Ileana said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend, Mercy. It sounds like you had such wonderful times together. Cherish those memories, Jimmy! :)

RealDreamer said...

My condolences on the passing of your friend, Mercy. You made lots of great memories together.

Senorita said...

Beautiful tribute to your friend. I am sorry to hear of her passing. I hope you will share more about those parties.