Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Happy Hour And Deviled Eggs?

I like happy hour and I like eating deviled eggs. What I need to remember is that you should not try to make deviled eggs after going to happy hour. This observation comes after returning home from happy hour and suddenly craving deviled eggs.

First and foremost, I really don't know how to make deviled eggs. I figured since I've eaten enough of them, I should be able to recreate the taste. That was my first error.

I ran into an old friend and was invited to happy hour for a drink. After an hour or so of great conversation and drinks, I came home to finish today's post. As I opened the front door, the thought of deviled eggs entered into my feeble little mind. I figured this should only take 30 minutes or so and I set to the task.

I put the eggs into the pan to boil and then searched the Internet for the recipe. I knew that I needed the hard boiled eggs, mayo and some mustard but I didn't know the other part of the recipe that gives the eggs that distinct flavor.

While searching unsuccessfully for a suitable recipe, I heard the pot rattling from the boiling water. After taking the boiled eggs out and immersing them in cold water, I began mixing mustard and mayo and then put in the egg yokes. I succeeded only in making an egg salad filling, which I spooned into the boiled egg whites.

The bottom line? I ended up eating a very unique version of egg salad accompanied by Johnny Walker Black on the rocks and a very late posting of Jimmy's Journal.

The News As I See It: It now appears that as many as a dozen members of the Secret Service were involved in that Colombian prostitution scandal. Now six of the agents have been reassigned. The other six are now party planners for the GSA.

Political analysts say that Obama doesn't want to be too critical of the Secret Service because their agents protect him every day....which explains why Obama said it was fiscally responsible to refuse to pay the prostitute.

A New Mexico company has petitioned the federal government to become the first U.S. business to offer horse meat for human consumption. You can get horse meat on the menu in some restaurants now. So if you're in Albuquerque, avoid the Philly Cheese Steak.

Mitt Romney has launched a new drive to appeal to Hispanic voters. Unfortunately, his new slogan is "Mitt Romney — I probably employ one of your cousins."

The NFL draft is going to be this Thursday. That's a huge night for college players. That's the night they start being paid over the table.

Obama is proposing to keep student loans cheap as a way to appeal for college students votes. If that doesn't work, Obama's going to resort to his 2008 campaign slogan, "Free Ice Cream and Pizza in my dorm room."

Congress is expanding its probe into the Secret Service scandal. Congressmen want to know how this could happen, who was responsible and if those Colombian hookers take Discover cards.

This Date In History: 1901; New York became the first state to require license plates on cars. 1915; British, Australian, and New Zealand forces landed at Gallipoli. 1928; The first seeing eye dog was presented to Morris S. Frank.

1945; Delegates met in San Francisco to organize the United Nations. 1953; The Francis Crick and James Watson article describing the double helix of DNA is published in the magazine Nature.

1959; The St. Lawrence Seaway opened to shipping. 1990; Violeta Barrios de Chamorro was inaugurated as president of Nicaragua. 1992; Islamic forces took over most of Kabul, Afghanistan after the Soviet-controlled government collapsed.

2003; The Georgia legislature voted to scrap the "Confederate flag" design from its state flag.

Picture Of The Day: That about says it all. Bill Maher is a hack comedian and an embarrassment to his parents.


Printable Things I Never Told You: 1) When I was a kid, my dad quit taking me to the dump with him because we always came back with more than we took. 2) Fast food is not hitting a deer at 65 mph. 3) My grandmother was a tough old gal. At Christmas time she always had "Ammo" on her Christmas list. 4) My grandfather was hard of hearing and needed to read lips. I didn’t mind him reading lips, but he used one of those yellow highlighters. 5) It's lonely at the top, but you eat a lot better.....and that's five !

Today's Horoscope: Taurus - April 25th: This day was made for you! Well, you and about 1 billion others but the thought is good. Watch out for midgets selling growth products, Your chance of romance is 51.27 percent with a slight chance of showers.

Birthdays: My pal LIsa - Happy Birthday Baby! 19XX, Oliver Cromwell statesman 1599, Guglielmo Marconi physicist 1874, Wolfgang Pauli physicist 1900, Edward R. Murrow journalist 1908, Ella Fitzgerald, American jazz singer 1917, Al Pacino actor 1940, Renee Zellweger actress 1969.

The AREA 51 Retirement Home Bar And Grill: Into a Belfast pub comes Paddy Murphy looking like he'd just been run over by a train. His arm is in a sling, his nose is broken and he is walking with a limp. Sean the bartender asks, "What happened to you?' Paddy says, "Jamie O'Conner and me had a fight."

Sean says, "That little shit, O'Conner? He can't fight. He must of had something in his hand." Paddy says, "That he did. A shovel is what he had, and a terrible licking he gave me with it." Sean says, "Well, you should have defended yourself. Didn't you have anything in your hand?" Paddy replied, ''That I did. It was Mrs. O'Conner's breast and a thing of beauty it was, but useless in a fight."

A man walks into a bar and orders a 12-year-old scotch. The bartender, believing that the customer will not be able to tell the difference, pours him a shot of the cheap 3-year-old house scotch that has been poured into an empty bottle of the good stuff.

The man takes a sip and spits the scotch out on the bar and says to the bartender, "This is the cheapest 3-year-old scotch you can buy. I'm not paying for it. Now, give me a good 12-year-old scotch."

The bartender, now feeling a bit of a challenge, pours him a scotch of much better quality, 6-year-old scotch. The man takes a sip, spits it out on the bar and says, "This is only 6-year-old scotch. I won't pay for this, and I insist on a good, 12-year-old scotch. The bartender finally relents and serves the man his best quality, 12-year-old scotch. The man sips the drink and says, "Now that's more like it."

An old drunk from the end of the bar, who has witnessed the entire episode, walks down to the finicky scotch drinker and sets a glass down in front of him and asks, "What do you think of this?" The scotch expert takes a sip, and in disgust, violently spits out the liquid yelling "This takes like piss!" The old drunk replies, "It is! Now guess how old I am."


The Hits Just Keep On Coming:

At a convention of biological scientists, one researcher remarks to another, "Did you know that in our lab we have switched from mice to lawyers for our experiments?" The other replied, "Really? Why did you switch?"

The first researcher said, "Well, for five reasons. First, we found that lawyers are far more plentiful. Second, the lab assistants don't get so attached to them. Third, lawyers multiply faster in numbers, Fourth, animal rights groups will not object to their torture. And fifth, there are some things even a rat won't do.

A man was sitting at a bar when he noticed a pirate walk in the front door. The pirate had a peg leg, a hook for one hand and a patch over one eye. Feeling sorry for the pirate, the man said, "Come over here friend. You look like you've had a hard life and I'd like to buy you a drink."

The pirate came over and ordered rum. The man said, "Just out of curiosity, how did you lose your leg?" The pirate said, "Arrrgh! I lost that timber to a tiger shark in the Caribbean when I was thrown overboard for stealing a man's rum."

The man said, "That's just terrible. How did you lose your hand?" The pirate, "I lost that fighting cannibals off Madagascar under Admiral Hawk."

The man said, "Wow, I can't even imagine! How did you lose your eye?" The pirate said, "A seagull shit in it!" The man said, "A seagull? Is seagull shit dangerous?!" The pirate replied,  "Nay, Matey, it was me first day with the hook....."

That's it for today, my little rum runners. Remember, recent studies indicate that Americans walk about 900 miles a year. Americans drink an average of 22 gallons of beer a year. That means, on average, we get about 41 miles per gallon. I'm going to AREA 51 for happy hour. More on Friday.

Stay Tuned !

4 comments:

jack69 said...

I don't know about tyhe 41 mpg but I know this for a fact (quote you):

1) When I was a kid, my dad quit taking me to the dump with him because we always came back with more than we took.

True in my family, but I spent about 4 yrs in GITMO BAY, and the dump there was affectionately known as SEARS!

Enjoyed the read as always, the politics are right on, but you don't know crap about deviled eggs.

How ever I have drank some of that pi--, and I never couldf guess the guys age!!!

Now enjoy Area 51. LOL

Heli gunner Tom said...

Hi Jimmy,
I just love deviled eggs, and the goofy Gov't puts out lies about the so-called "evils" of eggs! Actually eggs are good for repairing your lung ailments, etc. It's best to be informed and limit you blind trust of what the Gov't tells us.
I also love the sweet harmony of that first song that came up as I entered your fine Blog today!! Wow!

Tommy Schuckman
Iron Mtn., MI. The frozen Tundra.
Best Regards.

Ally Lifewithally said...

Hi Jimmy I have never had Deviled eggs ~ really must find a recipe and try them ~
Thanks for a lovely read ~ I loved the story about the Drunk ~ Ally x

Rose said...

I love deviled eggs but I don't think I ever had my scotch with it.

Glad you gave it a good try.

Hugs