Friday, October 9, 2009

John Garnett Is Presented The TAC AWARD

I would like to begin today's post by mentioning my friend, John Garnett, author of My Brain Is In Pain Again . I met John online in 2006 when he happened to make a comment on Jimmy's Journal on the memorable, but now defunct AOL Journals. Garnett, as I call him, has become a very good friend and we exchange email almost every day.

I have always known Garnett to be a cheerful, fun guy who never seems to complain despite some of the difficult things he has learned to deal with in his life. Garnett recently lost his wife, Debbie and although in obvious pain, he has come back strong, posting almost daily on his blog and visiting other blogs with his funny comments and kind words.

In difficult times, we are often at a loss of words and actions on how to respond or console friends who are going through difficult times. This being the case, I thought that the TAC AWARD, an award given by Jimmy's Journal to fellow journalists by for their continuing contributions and efforts to better the journal community, would befit Garnett's gallant and continuing efforts to further that cause. The TAC AWARD is hereby presented to John Garnett. My congratulations to John. Please stop by and visit John by clicking on the link in the opening paragraph.

President Obama will not meet the Dalai Lama during his five-day trip to the U.S. capital, the first time in 18 years the exiled Tibetan leader has visited Washington without seeing the president. Obama instead intends to wait until after his November summit with Chinese leader Hu Jintao before meeting the Dalai Lama, possibly sometime in December. I'm sure the main reason is that Obama doesn't want to strain relations with the country who finances the U.S. economy.

It seems to me that America has, in essence, become a whore to the powers that be. When an American president bows to a Saudi King (and his oil) and refuses to meet with a known human rights advocate in favor of the Republic of China Mortgage and Loan Company, something's not quite right. I'm sure that this is not the "change" that everyone had in mind.

Nevertheless, President Barack Obama won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize today for "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples," the Norwegian Nobel Committee said, citing his outreach to the Muslim world and attempts to curb nuclear proliferation.

If the gasps of shock from the audience at the Nobel Peace Prize Ceremony were an early indication of incredibility, the announcement stunned the American public even more. Even the White House was taken aback as they had no prepared statement at the time of the award.

For an American president who has been in office less than ten months, the mere idea that he is awarded the Nobel Peace Prize is beyond credible belief. Then again, the same Nobel Peace Prize was previously awarded to Yassir Arafat. An AOL poll taken this morning showed that out of 154,000 plus replies, 72% did not agree with the decision to award President Obama the Nobel Peace Prize. What sayeth you, my wise and knowledgeable readers ?

I watched a documentary on the BBC Network last evening that dealt with three young women who hated their small breasts. The sad obsession that women seem to have today with their breasts size is a deeper problem that I even imagined. These young ladies were depressed and didn't like being seen in social circles, especially the beach. One of them resorted to implants and the other two were contemplating the same resolution.

Oddly enough, none of the three women were exceptionally small breasted, the three wearing an "A' cup bordering on "B." The fact that, over time, a woman's breast tends to increase in size due to maturity and bearing children didn't seem to console them. They did not seem to care about the dangers of implants either. These implant procedures are usually undertaken by women for their own state of mind and are not really done to attract the opposite sex. But I can assure you, most men look for women based on their complete mental and physical characteristics and they're just happy that breasts of any size come with the package.

This Date In History: 1470; Henry VI is restored to the throne, having been deposed nine years earlier by Edward IV. 1754; Henry Fielding, one of the creators of the modern novel, dies in Lisbon and is buried in the English cemetery there. 1934; Alexander I of Yugoslavia, along with Louis Barthou, the French foreign minister, is assassinated by a Croatian nationalist in Marseilles. 1962; Uganda gains its independence from Britain. 1967; Che Guevara, the South American revolutionary and political leader, is executed by the Bolivian army.

Picture Of The Day: Barcodes! When I first heard of the term I thought that maybe it was a social guide to be used while having a drink in AREA 51, but nooooooo....! It was the beginning of a new era. Just as I had gotten use to the idea of swiping my credit card instead of writing a check, the Electronics Gestapo came up with a new way to make me crazier than I already was.

Everything has a barcode these days and this stupid little invention has allowed people to work in grocery and department stores who haven't the slightest idea about the concept of mathematics. The only difference between training a monkey to do the same job is that the monkey can't pick up the telephone to call the manager to their cash register when the stupid little code can't be read by the scanner. That's progress, I guess.

Nevertheless, barcodes are today's theme and I hope you enjoy the pictures that I've selected. If, per chance, you don't like or understand them, don't call the manager. He's busy helping Maria and Jamal on register four.

Printable Things I Never Told You: 1) I was in the kitchen last evening and I realized that I had not seen my cat, Possum, for a while, so I called him. When he didn't come as he usually does, I called out his name again. I walked in to the living room to look for him and he walked right beside me as we both tried to find him. He had been standing beside me all the while and was really curious as to who I was looking for. 2) Speaking of dimwits, Levi Johnston, the father of Sarah Palin's grandchild has announced he will pose for Playgirl magazine. I think that Johnston is becoming a legend in his own mind. 3) The term "illegal aliens" will be no longer allowed. Henceforth, they will be referred to as "undocumented democrats." 4) Any husband who says, "My wife and I are completely equal partners," is talking about either a law firm or a hand of bridge. 5) My ex-mother-in-law buried three husbands and two of them were just napping.....and that's five !

Birthdays: Camille Saint-Saƫn, French composer, pianist, and organist 1835, Alfred Dreyfus, French army officer 1859, Jacques Tati, French actor and film director 1908, Donald Coggan, 101st Archbishop of Canterbury 1909, John Lennon, songwriter and singer 1940.

The AREA 51 Retirement Home Bar and Grill: Two elderly couples were enjoying a friendly conversation when one of the men asked the other, "Murray, how was the memory clinic you went to last month?" Murray replied, "Outstanding, they taught us all the latest psychological techniques, visualization and association. It made a huge difference for me." His friend Sydney said, "That's great! What was the name of the clinic?"

Fred went blank. He thought and thought, but couldn't remember. Then a smile broke across his face and he asked, "What do you call that red flower with the long stem and thorns?" Sidney said, "You mean a rose?" Murray said, "Yes, that's it!" He turned to his wife and said, "Rose, what was the name of that clinic?"

The Hits Just Keep On Coming:

After hearing a couple's complaints that their sex life wasn't what it used to be, the sex counselor suggested they vary their position. He said, For example, you might try the wheelbarrow. Lift her legs from behind and off you go." The eager husband was all for trying this new idea as soon as they got home. His wife said hesitantly, "Well, okay, but on two conditions. First, if it hurts you have to stop right away, and second, you have to promise we won't go past my parents' house."

Two men are out on the lake fishing quietly and drinking beer. Almost silently, so as not to scare the fish, Rick says, "I think I'm going to divorce my wife, she hasn't spoken to me in over 2 months." Dave continues slowly sipping his beer, then thoughtfully says, "You better think it over, women like that are hard to find."

A man and his wife were sitting at a table at my high school reunion, and the wife kept staring at a drunken lady swigging her drink as she sat alone at a nearby table. The wife asked, "Do you know her?" The husband replied, "Yes, She's my old girlfriend. I understand she took to drinking right after we split up those many years ago, and I hear she hasn't been sober since." His wife said, "My God! Who would think a person could go on celebrating that long?"

While attending a marriage seminar on communication, Wally and his wife Carolyn listened to the instructor declare, "It is essential that husbands and wives know the things that are important to each other." He addressed the men, "Can you describe your wife's favorite flower?" Wally leaned over, touched Carolyn's arm gently and whispered, "Pillsbury All-Purpose, isn't it honey?"

That's it for today my little doodlebugs. Remember, a computer may beat you at chess, but you'll kill it at kick boxing. I'm going to AREA 51 for Happy Hour and more! Have a great weekend and more on Monday.

Stay Tuned !

17 comments:

garnett109 said...

thanks jimmy for the most coveted award, obmama eat your heart out!

Linda's World said...

I second the motion of John's nomination for the TAC award! Good choice !!! Actually the Prez had only been in office for two weeks when the nomination process closed for the Nobel Peace Prize. Verrrrrrry interesting & suspicious I'd say. Funny that the award money practically equals the amount it took to fly Air Force One over across the pond so he could beg the Olympic powers that be for the 2016 Summer Games. I'm behind again in reading Blogs....So pleze excuse my absence...Linda in sunny Washington state

Claudia said...

About my journal entry.....we were poor but did not know it...

Anne said...

Jimmy, I look forward to visiting Garnetts journal. Have you heard Michael Blubles new CD yet? As usual your jokes keep me going. When I laugh, everything seems better. Anne

Woody said...

Very Nice choice for the "TAC Award" !!!!

Gary

Paula said...

Johnny G. deserves the Tac Award. I'm so glad you nominated him. He has been a true friend.

Senorita said...

First off, I am sorry about your friend John's loss.

And I read your last post where you called us your little bellydancers. I was so touched ! I think my heart skipped a beat.......

I don't understand why women obsess over breast size. I have been blessed in that department, but most men around here don't care about boobs, it's all in the booty !

Different strokes for different folks I guess........

Unknown said...

Hi Jimmy,

Johnny G really deserves this award you made an excellent choice. This has been a hard year for him.

Julie said...

Yup, I wondered what he did to get the award also, did they get payback? Also heard the government just gave ACORN a few million dollars again, they are big over there, probably somewhat responsible for the prize. Loved the jokes.

Rose said...

I totally agree Garnett deserves the TAC Award!

Hugs, Rose

salemslot9 said...

Possum & you
too funny

Pamela said...

What exactly has Obama done to deserve that prestigious award?? I think someone is getting a kickback somewhere.
I'll go by and read John's journal. He must be good if you are awarding him the TAC award!!
Have a good weekend.

Martha said...

Hey Jimmy,
No time to really catch up on all I've missed here right now, life is getting in the way of my blogging big time lately. Just wanted to stop by and wish you a happy stress free time in Area 51 today and always!

Nobel Peace Prize? That one almost pushed me over the edge!

Winivere said...

Winivere has given you an award. Come get your reward!
XX

Melanie said...

good choice for the TAC award!!!



Melanie

Rowe said...

I've just popped over following an hilarious comment you left on another blog. :)

Rowe said...

Oh, and I'm a pancake breasted woman who does wish at times my boobs were bigger because I think many of them do look nice when I see more fuller than myself breasted ladies out and about. In saying that, I would not undergo surgery for fake ones.